<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Good luck outsmarting the Devil Turq! It's what we're all trying to
> > do! Believing he doesn't exist is one of his oldest tricks, don't
> fall> for it!  :-)
>
> An important point about beliefs:  Atheists don't "believe" there is
> no God, or "believe" that there is no devil.  It is not an active
> process.  Atheists see no compelling reasons to join the belief, no
> worthy evidence.

> If I assert that there is a green dinosaur in the room, you don't have
> to have a belief that there is no dinosaur.  You lack the belief due
> to insufficient evidence.
>
> This is important because one of the polemic tricks religious people
> pull with non believers is to assert that atheists just have beliefs
> like their own belief in a God, that there is no God.
>
> The atheist says: "what is your evidence for your assertion that there
> is a God or devil or Lock Ness Monster?"  So far that evidence is not
> sufficient for atheists or non believers.  The person with the
> assertion has to give the evidence since you can't prove a negative.

What!? Are you saying Creation does not Exist??! What better proof of
a Creator than His manifest Creation??!! What more figgin PROOF do you
need!!!? Its like the UNIVERSE man. Its everywhere. (And don't get me
started on my beleif that God is Love and Love is EVERYwhere.)

> There might be a time when the existence of God can be demonstrated to
> the satisfaction of atheists. The situation is the same with God
> believers who don't think of a God like Zeus as more than a
> mythological character.

Don't go dissing my Lord Zeus again.  But -- he is not the same as GOD
-- but he is a most worthy god.

> Thousands of people did have a belief in him
>  the way Christians believe in their God, but today most Christians
> don't share it.

Do you believe in music? Do you believe in the music in a young girl's
heart and how the music can free her, whenever it starts, and
and it's magic, if the music is groovy, it makes you feel happy like
an old-time movie, I'll tell you about the magic of music, and it'll
free your soul But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and
roll.

I believe in Jesus, Zeus and even the more mystical magic of
rock'n'roll. And like all beliefs that I hold -- which is a belief in
EVERYTHING, I do apply probabilities to the truth of such beliefs.
Truth and Belief being two quite distinct things.

(And just so you know, I BELIEVE that you will marry Maria, that you
will have vast and great progeny, that you shall own 1000 cows, and
your first son shall be named New.Morning. The % probability I assign
to that belief -- well the GOOD news, it is non-zero.)

> They are a-theists with regard to the belief in Zeus.

Glad I am not in that sorry camp.