> http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/44/2/133.pdf
>

> Whether or not this is "real" pure consciousness or not, who can say?
>

> Lawson

Yup, that is the bottom line.  All we know is that some transcendental
meditators suspend breathing for a period of time, most for some
seconds and one person for an entire minute and there is a correlation
with a mental experience they describe as "pure consciousness." These
brief holding periods were not extensive and even untrained healthy
people can hold their breath for up to a minute.  Because the time
periods of apnea were not long, I am not surprised to see no adverse
or compensatory effects.

I would note:    CO2 will accumulate after a period of time.
Hyperventilating before holding your breath can minimize that, purging
CO2.  So, were the meditators doing breathing exercises before their
meditation session?   If not, it would be an interesting experiment to
see if those doing the breathing exercises first had longer breath
suspensions.

It would be interesting to read accounts of divers who are experienced
at apnea.  What kind of mental experiences do they have?