--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> >

> > http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/44/2/133.pdf
> >

> > Whether or not this is "real" pure consciousness or not, who can say?
> >

> > Lawson
> >

> Yup, that is the bottom line.  All we know is that some transcendental
> meditators suspend breathing for a period of time, most for some
> seconds and one person for an entire minute and there is a correlation
> with a mental experience they describe as "pure consciousness." These
> brief holding periods were not extensive and even untrained healthy
> people can hold their breath for up to a minute.  Because the time
> periods of apnea were not long, I am not surprised to see no adverse
> or compensatory effects.
>
> I would note:    CO2 will accumulate after a period of time.
> Hyperventilating before holding your breath can minimize that, purging
> CO2.  So, were the meditators doing breathing exercises before their
> meditation session?   If not, it would be an interesting experiment to
> see if those doing the breathing exercises first had longer breath
> suspensions.
>
> It would be interesting to read accounts of divers who are experienced
> at apnea.  What kind of mental experiences do they have?

Don't know, but your comment on CO2 is spot on. Kesterson (another pure
consciousness researcher) found that there was no sign of reduced O2
consumption during those periods, but there WERE signs of slightly increased
CO2 levels.

He speculated that whatever state of consciousness was induced by meditation
practice (remember, these were *spontaneous* breath suspensions) was slightly
changing CO2 sensitivity as a side effect of the state of consciousness. IOW,
the
significance of the breath suspension was that it was merely an obvious side
effect
of the altered state, not some profound mystical correlation with the universe
or something.

Now, yogic tradition holds that some breath exercises may induce samadhi, and
perhaps for something of the same reason, but again, its held to be a
*spontaneous*
phenomenon, rather than some attempt to stop breathing. The breathing exercise
might not even directly alter CO2 sensitivity, but alter some neurological
pattern
in the libmic system, setting up up the same inhibitory feedback loops in the
thalamus that TM is thought to. Or.. t might be some combination of CO2
sensitivity and related neural functioning that induces this situation.

BTW, in the most extreme case in that study, the breath suspensions were up
to a minute, and the total breath suspension state was more than 50% of the
total
meditation time. That should be seen as somewhat unusual, given there was little
or no compensatory breathing afterwards and that the subjects were all in good
 health.

Another point or so to keep in mind:

measurement of airflow indicates that they were not holding their breath
and that here was  still a 1-2 hz respiration rate with exceedingly reduced
breath flow.

My own belief: the diaphram relaxes during this time (as evidenced by a
slow inhalation over the entire "suspension" period in another study), while
the beating of the heart against the lungs creates enough compression/
decompression to cause air flow at the observed rate.

Yogic tradition holds that someone "enlghtened" can remain in this state
indefinitely while meditating. Given the above minute respiration, I don't see
this claim as implausible.

Recall that it is the *state of consciousness* that is supposed to be the
important thing here. Travis' model (taken, perhaps, from Austin's model in his
books about the physiology of Zen) predicts that TM induces feedback loops
that inhibit the free flow of data from the senses through the thalamus to the
cortex and from the cortex through the thalamus BACK into the cortex.

IOW, a state of "no thought" as understood by many Western physiologists.

At the same time, the brain remains in an alert state, so all that is going on
is normal alpha EEG restful alertness activity, but on a very large scale.
Since
the neurons of the brain are always attempting to optimize their connectivity
regardless of what state of consciousness someone is in, samadhi can be seen
as large scale optimization of the brain in an alert state without sensory or
mental
content.

The primary place where this optimization seems to take place is in the frontal
lobes, which is where we get our sense of "self," so the meditator's impression
that  this state  is "pure self" is not unexpected. The finding that this
idling state
in the frontal lobes can persist in outside of meditation in long-term
meditators
can certainly explain why they claim to have an omnipresent Self that is not
overwhelmed by daily activity.

Fun stuff.

Lawson