The Confluence: "Only Cardboard" December 9, 2008 by dakinikat

Here's James Carville in one of his worst moments.  Riverdaughter
posted it earlier, but i'd like you to hear it again.  Notice how the
boys just get together to tell us cute little feminists we have no
sense of humor including Wolfie.

http://tinyurl.com/5fd8as

Here's my response:

What if it were a cardboard cut out of Obama and a noose instead of a
bottle of beer?

What if it were a cardboard cut out of Joe Lieberman and some one was
putting say, a felt star on him, or a tatoo'd number on his arm
instead of groping him  or say they were doing the same thing and were
wearing swastikas instead of Obama team tshirts?

What would your reaction be?

What would the reaction be of black civil rights leaders or leaders of
the antisemitic leagues?  Being plied with alcohol and groped is
strong symbolism for women.  We know that most men can out wrestle us
and we are one moment of trust away from brutalization.  Many fratboy
antics are in fact sexual assault.

AND Symbols matter.

Would these two cardboard `fratboy antics' I discribed above be taken
as trivial or would they be considered hate crimes?  After all,  a
small town in Louisiana became a symbol of lingering racism with the
hanging of a noose in a tree by a couple of idiot high school  boys.
 Why didn't folks consider that to be  just highschool boy antics?
What about the University of Kentucky students that had an effigy to
hang of Barrack  Obama who were treated way worse than those guys in
California' responsible for the hanging of Sarah Palin in effigy in a
Halloween display?  The guys in California only experienced a little
neighborly humiliation.  Not so the kids at at U of K.

And you know what?  None of these citizens put words in the
president's mouth and yet there was tremendous outrage in each
circumstance.  In several cases, these were adolescent boys and not 27
year olds on the way to be a Director in the White House for a
President of the United States.  This is the jerk responsible for "Yes
we Can" and "We are the ones we've been waiting for".   Obama rode
those two banal slogans into Washington.

The only time symbolic brutality is sanctioned these days is if its
victims are women, GLBT, and possibly mentally ill homeless people.
This has got to stop.   A symbol is powerful.  If this were not true,
people would not be upset by swastikas, confederate flags, and nooses.
 We need to stay upset about this until this jerk is told to resign.