Marek,

Do you hold out any probability that Shad has something useful to say,
some insightful life experience to share? To answer yes, is certainly
NOT equivalent to i) believing everything he says is useful or valid,
and 2) agreement with his views, and 3) that some of his views are not
reprehensible to you.

If you hold out at least some small probability that he has something
useful to say, some insightful life experience to share, then do you
hold any glimmer of hope that some open, fully listening" dialogue may
bear at least some fruit?

The Bush administration was strongly adverse to dialogue with people
with whom they felt had reprehensible views. Progress on world issues
during this reign was negligible if not negative, in my view. This is
in stark contrast to the Obama administration which has instructed it
s most senior diplomats to first listen intently, and not start out
dictating what the other party should do or feel. If Byron Katie has
any validity, then believing in "shoulds" is weak and unproductive
thinking.

Some recently have said that talking to someone with views different
than our own, starkly different, validates the other persons views,
that is, it gives them legitimacy. That view is pure Bushian, in my
opinion. What are your views on dialogue -- even with people who hold
starkly different views than yourself?

In my view and experience, name calling, particularly super charged
words like "racist", completely shuts down diologue -- in the near
term and for a long time after that. And it shuts down the ability for
either party to listen and really hear the deeper issues and dynamics
behind the other party's words. The reptile brain takes over. Which is
the opposite effect I would have hypothesized about long-term PC
dippers. Perhaps Spraig and Vaj can elaborate on the research behind
this.

Thus, per your actions of calling someone a racist, it would appear,
contrary to all other indications from your posts, that you are in the
Bush camp of diplomacy. I hope, and do not think, that is not the
case.

What are your views on labeling people, processes for opening and
closing of dialogue, giving legitimacy to other parties via dialogue,
and the value of dialogue for understanding the deeper dynamics of why
a person or group feels, thinks and acts the way they do?

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavisma...@...>