Comments interleaved:

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, grate.swan <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Marek,
>
> Do you hold out any probability that Shad has something useful to
say,
> some insightful life experience to share?

**snip

Certainly.  However, so far on this issue he has spoken in terms that
my skinhead clients, tattooed from head to ankles with images and
symbols of racial hatred, would be quick to endorse.  That is not to
say that L.Shaddai would participate in the same acts of violence
that those individuals feel is the logical confirmation and necessary
next step in holding those beliefs, but on the spectrum of racial
tolerance/intolerance his expressed views are clearly racist.

**

To answer yes, is certainly
> NOT equivalent to i) believing everything he says is useful or
valid,
> and 2) agreement with his views, and 3) that some of his views are
not
> reprehensible to you.
>
> If you hold out at least some small probability that he has
something
> useful to say, some insightful life experience to share, then do you
> hold any glimmer of hope that some open, fully listening" dialogue
may
> bear at least some fruit?

**snip

Yes.  But again, L.Shaddai in these exchanges has inferred facts
regarding me and my experience for which he has no evidence, other
than, once again, his prejudices.  My comments were based on what
L.Shaddai said, not on any baseless speculation as to why he said
them.  He undoubtedly has some history and training that has
reinforced his prejudices, but as Edg has pointed out, we all have
such histories and training; the important thing is to recognize it
in our personality and work to overcome it.  That is only, of course,
if you feel that racism is a problem that needs to be addressed in
your own personality, rather than a problem the "blacks" (or any
identified "others") have to rectify within the parameters that you
approve so you can feel more comfortable around them.

**

> The Bush administration was strongly adverse to dialogue with people
> with whom they felt had reprehensible views. Progress on world
issues
> during this reign was negligible if not negative, in my view. This
is
> in stark contrast to the Obama administration which has instructed
it
> s most senior diplomats to first listen intently, and not start out
> dictating what the other party should do or feel. If Byron Katie has
> any validity, then believing in "shoulds" is weak and unproductive
> thinking.

**snip

As re racism, I fall firmly on the side that it "should" be discussed
and it "should" be discouraged.

**

> Some recently have said that talking to someone with views different
> than our own, starkly different, validates the other persons views,
> that is, it gives them legitimacy. That view is pure Bushian, in my
> opinion. What are your views on dialogue -- even with people who
hold
> starkly different views than yourself?

**snip

I'm in favor of dialogue.

**

> In my view and experience, name calling, particularly super charged
> words like "racist", completely shuts down diologue -- in the near
> term and for a long time after that. And it shuts down the ability
for
> either party to listen and really hear the deeper issues and
dynamics
> behind the other party's words. The reptile brain takes over. Which
is
> the opposite effect I would have hypothesized about long-term PC
> dippers. Perhaps Spraig and Vaj can elaborate on the research behind
> this.
>
> Thus, per your actions of calling someone a racist, it would appear,
> contrary to all other indications from your posts, that you are in
the
> Bush camp of diplomacy. I hope, and do not think, that is not the
> case.
>
> What are your views on labeling people, processes for opening and
> closing of dialogue, giving legitimacy to other parties via
dialogue,
> and the value of dialogue for understanding the deeper dynamics of
why
> a person or group feels, thinks and acts the way they do?

**snip

There's a natural and immediate reaction in me to be labelled
a "Bushian", and I would refute that term as it applies to me.

In my first comments to L.Shaddai, however, I made particular point
not to call him a racist.  Rather, I commented that his statement was
racist and reprehensible.  A strong assertion, true, but it was an
acknowledgement that perhaps he was not aware of how offensive his
statements were and, if pointed out, he would take the opportunity to
distance himself from them.  However, on the contrary, he confirmed
his position by implying that it was the "blacks" who were the real
racists and made more derogatory claims regarding the "blacks".  From
that point on I have come to the conclusion that he is a racist.
What's unfortunate is not that *I* have identified him as such, but
that *he* has identified himself as such.

Thanks for working to find some middle way, here.  I hold no animus
for L.Shaddai, and should he come to the unfortunate position in life
that I was appointed to represent him in a criminal prosecution, I
would do so gladly and with enthusiasm.  But I do not endorse his
views on race.

Marek

**

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavismarek@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Shemp, I missed the remark you posted from Obama under your own
name,
> > so I won't comment on that.  And as to a young person's
insecurities
> > re how they might best "fit in" with a world which for them is
defined
> > by all sorts of mis-matching pieces (single mom, absent dad,
> > stepfather, Indonesia, absent mom, living with different race
> > grandparents in Hawaii), I can easily cut him some slack for
that. (As
> > an aside, look at the monikers that folks who post here use as
one
> > marker of how they try to "fit in".)
> >
> > L.Shaddai's remarks, both his original post and subsequent
replies,
> > contained clear and offensive indicators that he
believes "blacks" are
> > inferior and debased; he was not expressing concern for the well-
being
> > of others.
> >
> > Your own remarks that folks should refrain from giving their
children
> > names that have charm or cultural significance within the
community
> > with which they identify, because that can be used to
discriminate
> > against them, has the argument all turned around.  They're only
names,
> > not metrics of value (unless that's your shorthand for judging
> > people).  The larger community has to learn to look at the
person, not
> > succumb to prejudice.  To encourage all the young "Baracks" in
America
> > to change their name to "Barry" so they'll fit in, is entirely
the
> > wrong message and one sent to the wrong party.
> >
> > Although racism is still a given in this country, it's changing
and
> > yielding towards the American ideal of meritocracy; an ideal that
I'm

<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > One more thing to add to what I wrote below:
> > >
> > > A certain someone preferred to use the name "Barry" for the
first 20
> > > or so years of his life because he felt uncomfortable with the
given
> > > name on his birth certificate.  Perhaps that tells us something
> > about
> > > interacting in America with a name considered a wee bit out of
the
> > > ordinary.
> > >

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<shempmcgurk@>