--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2)  The point was made recently by, I believe, Unc., that in many
> cultures depression is a luxury not afforded because they other
> issues to deal with, such a having enough to eat and surviving.

To be precise, it was my Cambodian friends who said it,
and they were talking about neurosis, not depression
per se.  They termed neurosis a "rich man's disease,"
and yes, thought that it sprang from having too much
time on our hands.

> It seems to me that her [Brooke Shields'] experience is actually
> the more common one.

The question would seem to be, why?

It wasn't always like this.  Some statistics, including
some from the fairly prestigious Médicins sans frontiers,
say that one third of American adults are on a constant
prescription for antidepressants.  I was shocked to learn
that the statistics in France are not that much lower.

So many people are depressed by a daily life that somehow
their parents and grandparents didn't find as depressing,
certainly not to the point of seeking medical help over.

I'm a fortunate person, as are many others here.  I man-
aged to stumble onto the world of meditation and self
discovery fairly early in life.  And it's *worked* for
me.  I've never had to deal with a period of depression
that lasted past the next shiny meditation.  I find it
heartbreaking sometimes that so many people I see around
me were not so fortunate, and had to try to live in a
crazy world with nowhere to go "home" to twice a day.

If I sometimes express disappointment with Maharishi and
the TM organization, that's why.  They had it within
their grasp to make this simple knowledge available to
millions and millions of everyday people and they didn't.
They went in the other direction and priced it for an
elite.  An elite that's now too doped up on Valium and
Prozac to recognize the worth of meditation if they
stumbled across it.

Unc