--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> Most of the puja is blatantly religious. For example, the puja
> contains the traditional shodashopachura pujana -  the puja of 16
> offering. The puja of 16 offering is common in Hindu worship as a way
> to "receive" or connect to a particular God. In this case the God is
> the Guru, the Guru God or Guru Deva; "Guru Dev":

AVAHANAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering invocation to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

ASANAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering a seat to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

SNANAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering a bath to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

VASTRAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering a cloth to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

CHANDANAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering sandal paste to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

AKSHATAN SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering full unbroken rice to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

PUSHPAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering a flower to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

DHUPAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering incense to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

DEEPAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering light to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

ACHMANIYAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering water to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

NAIVEDYAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering fruit to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

ACHMANIYAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering water to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

TAMBULAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering betel leaf to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

SHRI PHALAM SAMARPAYAMI SHRI GURU CHARANA KAMALEBHYO NAMAH
Offering coconut to the lotus feet of the blessed Guru, I bow down.

[reposted for clarity - apparently the Sanskrit doesn't post properly]
===

Many properly trained TM teachers can verify from directly perceived experience
[and have many times to me personally] that indeed this complete Puja invokes
the presence of Guru Dev [Swami Bramhananda Saraswati].

In my teacher training course, Maharishi explained that in essence, the
initiator 'becomes' Guru Dev when the mantra is imparted from that deep level
and given to the initiate. It's a very gentle and sublime, but powerful
experience. For me personally while teaching, it has varied unpredictably in
intensity.

Some times while reciting and performing the Puja I have transcended and felt
that I was losing track of where I was in the recitation - however at the same
time noticing that the Puja continued flowing like a river as if all by itself.

--Apparently some TM teachers don't seem to have experienced that. I have no
definitive explanation for that.

As a TM teacher trained by MMY, I have always had serious reservations about
introducing TM wholesale into public schools claiming it's strictly a
non-religious relaxation technique. To me personally, it's blatantly dishonest.