On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM, curtisdeltablues
<curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, grate.swan <no_re...@...> wrote:
>> Thanksgiving. Is that a religious holiday? Am I being secretly taught a
>> religion if I take the holiday off, and eat a thanksgiving meal?  Who were
>> the pilgrims offering thanks to? Oh my God! It was God! Run!
>
> No it is not a religious holiday.  I think of it as giving thanks to the
> relatives who have gathered for another year. The Indians at the first one
> were being thankful that their new guests would never betray their
> trust...and the Pilgrims were thankful that the Indian's wouldn't catch on
> till the next shipment of gunpowder comes.

I was on my way from Colorado Springs to Juarez on a Thanksgiving.  I
was listening to the Native American Network broadcast over National
Public Radio in Albiquarky.  God, I wish I had a hard copy of the
broadcast.  "They said they came for religious freedom".  We could
understand that, so we helped them learn to farm, to raise and prepare
maize, etc.  It went on to describe all of the atrocities wrought upon
the Native American by these people seeking religious freedom.