--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "claudiouk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> No doubt French food is better than "traditional" English.
> But now food available in England is no longer restricted to
> the "traditional". London is the gourmet capital of the world -
> because all kinds of INTERNATIONAL food is available - and in
> every area of the city. Indian curries are now by far more
> popular than "fish & chips" as "take aways". By contrast when
> you go to Rome or Paris you enjoy the delights of local food
> but there is little alternative.

Haven't been to Rome in a while, but that's certainly
not true of Paris any more.  You can hardly walk down
any block without encountering three or four ethnic
restaurants.

> Moreover try going to France with vegetarian children
> and see how alien to French cuisine vegetarianism is - hardly
> anything that is common place for vegetarians in the UK is
> available in France, even in supermarkets.

In terms of restaurants, I would tend to agree with
you; the French aren't vegetarians, on the whole,
and don't always cope well with vegetarians when
preparing food for them.  This works for me because
I am no longer a vegetarian, but I can see how it
might pose a problem for those who are.

In terms of the markets, however, I might disagree
with you.  What is probably missing here are the
*prepared* vegetarian foods one gets used to in
England.  But the vegetables themselves are abun-
dant and almost certainly fresher than what I've
found in English markets, and there are numerous
health food stores for specialty items.

It's an old back-and-forth, this thing about English
vs. French cooking.  On the whole, I prefer French.
But the real difference IMO is the *relationship*
that the two peoples have with eating.  For the Eng-
lish, on the whole, eating is just something you do
to fuel the body and then get on to more important
things.  For the French, eating IS one of the
"important things."

Unc