--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:

> Thanks for the appreciative words, Barry. It so happens
> that that particular Zen story is one of my inspirations
> and I've told it often. The other day Judy mentioned that
> I must be "really pissed" because of something Raunchy
> said. It surprised me a bit that she would think I would
> get upset by something someone wrote here.

Another thought on this, and on why some folks
seem to "get" the wisdom of "Is that so?" and
others do not.

I have found in my life that those who seem
most driven to "defend themselves" when either
criticized or when someone sees them differently
than they like to see themselves *have rarely
bucked the system*.

And, in fact in spiritual contexts, they have
often *submitted* to the system for many years,
making compromises to do so. For example, in
organizations with a bit (or a lot) of cultic
nature to them, it is not unusual for members
to regularly be expected to "defend themselves"
to be considered a "member in good standing."
Do this long enough, and you get used to it
and consider it normal.

The people in my experience who most "get" the
"Is that so?" thang are those who have gone
through a period of doubting or who have shifted
their priorities in life and have to some extent
"walked away" from an organization that they
were strongly committed to for many years.
Those who have never done this in a spiritual
context simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND how
the shit hits the fan when you do.

Former friends in the organization you are
walking away from (or distancing yourself from)
have a tendency to suddenly turn on you and
start saying things you never imagined them
capable of. Former close friends cross the
street to avoid talking to you. You start to
hear rumors about yourself that defy belief.
Some people even say shit to your face, and
call you "traitor" or worse for leaving the
"highest path." I had a brick thrown through
one of my windows when I walked away from the
Rama trip.

At first your impulse is to "defend yourself."
After all, you don't *understand* how these
former friends and fellow seekers can one day
treat you as an equal and as a valued member
of the spiritual community and path that you
shared for years or decades and the next day
treat you like you were a child molestor or
the spawn of Satan.

So you try to "explain yourself." If you care
about these people (even if you don't really
care what they think of you), you try to tell
them that nothing has really changed about who
and what you are, or you even try to explain
your reasons for having made the decision that
you did.

But it never works. Your "reasons" are invalid.
There can *be* no valid reasons for walking
away from the "highest path." By doing so you
have shamed yourself and shamed the holy trad-
ition you walked away from. You are pond scum,
lower than the lint in a snake's navel.

Sound familiar, Rick? I'll bet it does.

It would also sound familiar to any Catholic
priest who decided to leave the priesthood. Or
to any celibate monk from any tradition who
fell in love and decided to get married. And
I'll bet it sounds familiar to a lot of the
posters on this forum who, one way or another,
*have* distanced themselves from an organi-
zation they once felt proud of being a part
of and no longer can. Right?

Depending on the length of time *since* they
did this "distancing," they probably understand
"Is that so?" to a lesser or greater degree.
After a while it's the only thing that makes
sense. "Yes men" who CARE about being perceived
as part of a tradition or organization feel the
need to "defend themselves." Those who really
*aren't* a part of that tradition or organization
do not. After a while all you *can* do when you
encounter the hatred beamed at you by those who
feel that by being true to yourself you somehow
"betrayed" them is shrug and walk away -- the
physical counterpart of saying "Is that so?"

Or laugh, which in my opinion is the best possible
way of saying the same thing.

By laughing at those who attack you, you avoid the
temptation to stoop to their level. And, if your
walking away has taught you anything, you realize
that *before* you walked away you were just like
them. Laughing at them is a way of laughing at
that part of yourself, and wishing it good
riddance.