[Rick wrote:]
> Busy week, but I've been meaning to respond to this.
> I agree about being passionately committed to things,
> but I think that development of consciousness results
> in the tendency to consciously incorporate paradox in
> pretty much all situations. One may be fighting
> fiercely for something one believes in, but that
> focus is never the totality of one's life.

I agree. What I'm getting at is the tendency to use
the "don't take yourself too seriously" meme as an
excuse to *avoid* passionate commitment, to put the
background, the wider view, in the foreground and
reduce the individual elements to insignificance--as
if the fact that there *is* a wider view means
there's no reason to care about anything in
particular.

It may all be just Cosmic Play, but we're here to
play as well and as hard and as wisely as we can. We
don't get to opt out.