From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fairfieldl...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of authfriend
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:13 AM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: "Is that so?" -- an homage to Rick and his
equanimity

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:FairfieldLife%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:

<snip>
> I think the Vedic literature is written the way it
> is, with so many expectation-shattering stories, to
> culture the perspective that one's own little peephole
> on the Universe does not afford a view of the whole,
> and that therefore one should not take oneself too
> seriously.

Because if you don't take yourself too seriously, you
never need to take a stand on anything; you don't need
to take any risks or fight any battles. The injustice
and cruelty and suffering you see through your little
peephole just doesn't matter in the larger scale of
things; no need to exert yourself to remedy it.

Q: If everything is perfect just as it is, why are we
working so hard to change things?

MMY: That too is perfect just as it is.

"...There is no room for timidity. The fact that you
might be wrong is simply no excuse: You might be
right in your communication, and you might be wrong,
but that doesn't matter. What does matter, as
Kierkegaard so rudely reminded us, is that only by
investing and speaking your vision with passion, can
the truth, one way or another, finally penetrate the
reluctance of the world. If you are right, or if you
are wrong, it is only your passion that will force
either to be discovered. It is your duty to promote
that discovery--either way--and therefore it is your
duty to speak your truth with whatever passion and
courage you can find in your heart.

"You must shout, in whatever way you can."

--Ken Wilber
Busy week, but I've been meaning to respond to this. I agree about being
passionately committed to things, but I think that development of
consciousness results in the tendency to consciously incorporate paradox in
pretty much all situations. One may be fighting fiercely for something one
believes in, but that focus is never the totality of one's life. One lives a
larger reality that incorporates not only that conviction, but a
simultaneous appreciation of other, possibly conflicting perspectives. It's
hard to take anything utterly seriously. Think Krishna smiling on the
battlefield. Most wars, suicide bombings, abortion clinic bombings, church
burnings, religious inquisitions, and chat room arguments result from a
failure to have developed such a vision.