--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> And of course in Hindu mantra practice not only do they
> recognize that constant introversion creates a karmic
> separation by withdrawing from the world, it has an
> entire vocabulary describing the process and how to
> awaken an undivided openness, rather than transcending
> and excluding, one becomes acculturated to transcending
> and including.

In the TM context, the process would be that of rest
(meditation) alternating with activity, described by
the metaphor of repeatedly dipping the cloth in the
dye and allowing it to fade in the sun, until finally
the dye becomes stabilized and no longer fades.

<snip>
> We should realize that the purpose of meditation is not
> to go "deeply into ourselves" or withdraw from the world.
> Practice should be free and non-conceptual, unconstrained
> by introspection and concentration."

Gee, sounds just like TM.

<snip>
> A problem occurs in commercial meditation methods when
> one's not told or taught this, as people will just end
> up getting attached to the meditation technique itself
> and the introspected state in particular. Both are
> traps long known in the yogic traditions of India and
> Tibet for many centuries.

Which is why rest alternating with activity,
"meditate and act," is such an important principle
in TM, and why the time spent in "introspection"
is strictly limited.

Typically, if Vaj has reasons why he believes the TM
approach doesn't avoid this trap, he neglects to
share them with us. Instead he just makes assertions.

The other problem is that in making these assertions,
he repeatedly *misdescribes* the TM process. If you
didn't know better, you'd think TM valued the
introspective state above all, rather than seeing it
as merely a means to the end of "identification of
the inner vibrating Self as constituting the visible
essence of the external finite realities," as
Muller-Ortega puts it (as quoted by Vaj in another
post).