On Aug 13, 2009, at 12:51 AM, Marek Reavis wrote:

Raunchydog, I understand the point you're making in your post re Vaj, but it's an incorrect portrayal of my opinion of him.

It did take several readings for me to understand what he was saying in the lines you quoted (below), but that was mostly due to the combination of individual terms that I don't have the occasion to use frequently, and the fact that I don't deal often with philosophical and religious terms. Once I slowed down, however, and put it together word-by-word, it was a very clear and complete expression of his point of view.

I may not agree with that view (which doesn't mean that my view is correct), but I have high regard for Vaj's learning and sincerity and it seems apparent to me that he is both well-read in meditation techniques and spiritual practices, and personally experienced in a number of different applications of the spirituality he has pursued. I regard him as an authentic guy.

Thanks Marek. It's not unusual (I've found) for people to be unaware of the glitches that can result from introspective meditation, irregardless of whether that's Buddhist or Hindu meditation or whatever. But I've noticed in mostly in TMers and some hardcore Zensters. Hopefully the system of meditation knows and recognizes this propensity and allows for it in it's methods.

And of course in Hindu mantra practice not only do they recognize that constant introversion creates a karmic separation by withdrawing from the world, it has an entire vocabulary describing the process and how to awaken an undivided openness, rather than transcending and excluding, one becomes acculturated to transcending and including. As I shared in a previous quote, the habit of withdrawing like a marmot (or groundhog) is non-conducive to complete openness and unity:

"We should experience everything totally, never withdrawing into ourselves as a marmot hides in its hole. This practice releases tremendous energy which is usually constricted by the process of maintaining fixed reference points. Referentiality is the process by which we retreat from the direct experience of everyday life." (...) Introspected meditation on some thing, what Patanjali would call "meditation with props or supports" (e.g. a mantra) accultures one to referentiality, it does not necessarily free one from it.

"We shouldn't make a division in our meditation between perception and field of perception. We shouldn't become like a cat watching a mouse. We should realize that the purpose of meditation is not to go "deeply into ourselves" or withdraw from the world. Practice should be free and non-conceptual, unconstrained by introspection and concentration."

The Hindu tradition has a number of names for this technique of imbuing the inner world of the Self into the outer world. A popular one is bhairavi-mudra, '''the seal of wrathful shiva". It's a lot like the traditional picture of Shiva, absorbed in the deep meditation, while having his eyes still partially open on the external world at the same time.

A problem occurs in commercial meditation methods when one's not told or taught this, as people will just end up getting attached to the meditation technique itself and the introspected state in particular. Both are traps long known in the yogic traditions of India and Tibet for many centuries.