On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:28 AM, raunchydog<raunchy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So Bill, have you called your Congressperson to pledge support for a public
> option?

Yes I did.  And his aide told me I had called the wrong office.  This
is the office of one of the main opponents of the health care bill,
Bill, he said.

Public option is still on the table.  Obama has front stage (read
Presentation of Self in Everyday Life by Erving Goffman) let public
option slide.  It is alive still and president Obama hasn't started
fighting yet.  I will definitely admit this president doesn't act like
most.  Most are out there ahead of the crowd, butting the heads of
MCs, gathering public support, threatening MCs (especially Blue Dogs)
with loss of national support and his support come their
re-nomination, and using the bully pulpit.  Obama doesn't use the
bully pulpit all that well but he does get things (like a beer party
between a cop and a scholar at the WH) done in his own way.

The Israelis are complaining that Obama is anti-Semitic in his
dealings in the Middle East.  Well, score one for Obama, since we've
been kissing ass of the Israelis since FDR.  Obama, Biden, perhaps
your secret lover, the rest of the Cabinet and White House staffers
will come out swinging when it's time.

And if Obama only gets half a loaf, he's accomplished a lot.  When
Congress passed the first income tax in 1916, it opened the door.
Whatever Obama gets this time around will be a lot.  Patton had on his
wall, "drag them by the balls and their hearts and minds will follow".
  As Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "Take the first step.  You
don't have to see the top of the stairs.  Just take the first step."