I thought the cinematography was fairly good in fusing the computer generated
alien ships with a realistic background. Definitely derivative of Independence
Day, District 9, and others with nothing new plotwise. Did well here in San
Diego since Camp Pendleton is north of here, where the Marines were supposedly
stationed before heading off to battle in Santa Monica where I used to live.
Had an amusing scene in which the Eckart character captured a half dead alien,
and kept stabbing his/its organs to find out which one was most vital.  Finally
he stabbed what looked like a big pulsating heart filled with water. That did
it! Water spewed out everywhere and the alien died.  Then orders were sent
out..."aim for the heart"...Duh...
By no means as creative as District 9