--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 03/24/2011 01:23 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@>  wrote:
> > > Yup, it is an ad for the Marine Corps.  Sort of a modern day
> > > military movie with Aaron Eckhart playing the John Wayne role.
> >
> > I gave up after five minutes, and start fast-forwarding
> > to see if there was anything worth watching in the rest.
> > Deleted the film entirely after a total of ten minutes.
> > I agree with Roger Ebert: "To call this film science
> > fiction is an insult to both science and fiction."
>
> He also called it "the worst film of the year."  Probably
> more watchable later on but did you get the feeling you
> were watching a remake of the "Sands of Iwo Jima"?  I saw
> the film to garner my own opinion (movie critics are
> usually pretty bad when it comes judging science fiction
> and horror) and compare to "Sklyline" which I had watched
> the night before.

You have a stronger stomach than I, sir. I would
have gnawed my own leg off rather than watch either
film to the end.  :-)

> Want a "feel good move?"  I absolutely recommend "Best
> Worst Film" as it was complete surprise. It is about the
> "worst film ever" "Troll 2" and made by the guy who played
> the kid in the film. The documentary centers around the
> actor who played the dad, George Hardy, a dentist who
> always wanted to be an actor and got the role in film
> (the only role he ever got). This guy is one of the
> genuinely upbeat persons I've ever seen. The people in
> his town love him and love the film he was in.

Dare I suggest (because now I've Been There Done
That) that parents and people helping to raise
small children think that home movies of them
spitting their pablum out are great, too?  :-)

I'm really not a fan of the horror genre any
more, except for funny horror like "Tucker &
Dale vs Evil." It's been so many years since
I've seen any new ideas that I kinda gave up
on it. Watched the first five minutes of the
new zombie TV series and gave up on it. The
only horror movies I'm interested in -- because
there don't seem to be any new ideas out there
-- are the ones that poke fun at the old ones,
like "Zombies Of Mass Destruction" or "Shaun
Of The Dead" or the holy grail of horror-comedy,
"Evil Dead 2."

As for scifi, two recent movies ("Never Let Me
Go" and "The Adjustment Bureau") have reminded
me that they don't need any CGI or special
effects to be good; all they need is a good
story. That's what's missing in most of them.
One of the best I've seen in recent years,
"Monsters," had special effects but *also*
had a good story, and was made on a budget
of $15,000. You could theoretically make
6,666 "Monsters" for the money spent on
"Battle Los Angeles" ($100 million) and
chances are 6,000 of them would be better.  :-)