On 03/24/2011 01:23 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@...>  wrote:
>> Yup, it is an ad for the Marine Corps.  Sort of a modern day
>> military movie with Aaron Eckhart playing the John Wayne role.
> I gave up after five minutes, and start fast-forwarding
> to see if there was anything worth watching in the rest.
> Deleted the film entirely after a total of ten minutes.
> I agree with Roger Ebert: "To call this film science
> fiction is an insult to both science and fiction."

He also called it "the worst film of the year."  Probably more watchable
later on but did you get the feeling you were watching a remake of the
"Sands of Iwo Jima"?  I saw the film to garner my own opinion (movie
critics are usually pretty bad when it comes judging science fiction and
horror) and compare to "Sklyline" which I had watched the night before.

Want a "feel good move?"  I absolutely recommend "Best Worst Film" as it
was complete surprise.  It is about the "worst film ever" "Troll 2" and
made by the guy who played the kid in the film.  The documentary centers
around the actor who played the dad,  George Hardy, a dentist who always
wanted to be an actor and got the role in film (the only role he ever
got).  This guy is one of the genuinely upbeat persons I've ever seen.
The people in his town love him and love the film he was in.  It's about
how he and the fellow actors, the director and writer wind up touring
the world for fan showings of the film.  I reviewed "Trolls 2" here a
couple weeks ago.  The funny thing is in the film one of the emcees of a
show mentions everything that is wrong with the film except the one
thing I mentioned that saved it: the editing.  Also when I watched it I
realized it was making fun of vegetarianism and the Italian woman who
wrote the script said at the time she had friends who were all becoming
vegetarians and she hated it so mocked it the story.

At one moment when they are at a horror film convention Hardy comments
about how many people there had gingivitis.  I rolled on the floor at
that comment because I've noticed that at so many new age expos too.

If you can, get it on DVD, because after the film I started watching the
extras and they were real gems too.  The guy who played the shop keeper
in the film was a mental patient at the time the film was made and
realized when he saw the film he wasn't acting.  BTW, he is the most
sane person in the documentary.  I think you have to have had a bout
with insanity to know what sanity is and usually these people are
chasing what they know is sanity.  To them the rest of the world doesn't
have a clue.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1144539/
Troll 2:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105643/