--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall <thomas.pall@...> wrote:

> http://www.experiencefestival.com/wp/article/outsider-vs-insider-doctrine-of-the-hugging-saint

This is an interesting article. I'd heard some of this
before from a former Amma devotee I knew in France. She
"blew the lid off" of the "stuff we show the outside
world vs. stuff we don't" dual nature of the Amma org
long before I ever heard much about her here.

The fascinating thing from my side is that it reminds
me of a story I once wrote. In Tibetan Buddhism there
is a tradition of supposedly higher, non-physical beings
"taking over" the bodies of humans. That's their view
of what is going on with the Tibetan State Oracles. On
another level entirely, there is a tradition of some
men and women "allowing" these "higher beings" to "take
over their bodies" and dance for followers.

My story was written while commuting every week from
Santa Fe to Detroit. The Detroit airport just sucked,
and I didn't want to spend any more time there than
absolutely necessary. So I discovered a strip club that
was brilliantly located across the street from the
rental car return lot. You could turn in your car, then
walk across the street and wait for your flight in the
strip club. They even had monitors up above the bar so
you could check on the status of your flight. Then they
would drive you to the airport in their limo. I spent
many a happy hour sitting at the bar of that strip club
writing stories, and chatting with the dancers. Never
once got a "private dance," never once sat by the stage
to watch them dance; sitting at the bar was fine for me.

Anyway, there was one dancer there who was really GOOD.
I talked with her a lot, and found that she had trained
as a modern dancer for years, and it showed. So one day
I thought of a story with her as the protagonist. Sorta.

She's up there on stage dancing for the guys at the
strip club, and suddenly one of these ancient Tibetan
goddesses takes over her body. At first it's confusing
for the goddess, because looking around at the bar, this
is just not like the temples she's used to dancing in. :-)
But she kinda gets into it, pulls out all the stops,
and does a dance for the patrons of the strip club that
blasts them with mega-shakti and leaves all of them
stunned and a couple of them enlightened. I had a lot
of fun writing it, and my friend the stripper was quite
flattered.

Anyway, that's what I thought of when I read the accounts
of Amma playing dressup. Now you know how low-vibe I
really am. It's much worse than my detractors here would
have you believe. :-)