--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Yogi" <raviyogi@...> wrote:
Thanks for your reply.  Well you are right.  There are so many issues,
and so many ways to interpret them.  As you say, what one sees as
deception, may just be an attempt not to confuse by another.  What one
sees as worship, may just be symbolism for another.  So, as Rick pointed
out, and I guess Peter, you just navigate through, and pick out what
works for you and what doesn't.  Definitely a caveat emptor type
sitiuation.  I have to say though,  IMHO, I see the "gurus" often having
a hard time resisting some of the perks that accompany their fame,
fortune and power.  I mean, I think, a really hard time.  But that's
okay, because it doesn't affect me, and people,of course, are free to
act and believe as they see fit.
> Steve - you don't have to worship her. I have never worshiped Amma nor
> did I see her as my Guru for a long time. I was among those who had no
> particular fascination for Devi Bhava, I loved Amma and would always
> complain to people around me that I didn't like Amma dressed in a
> colorful sari with a crown, I would even say I hate it. So to say that
> its a cult and everyone worships her is just so totally false, I'm a
> prime example of that - if it was a cult a person like who revels in
> shocking and mocking others would not have been entertained.
> In fact I used to detest the cult like behavior of certain people at
> Amma's but now I have to come to understand that people when they come
> to spirituality comes with issues of hurt, pain and betrayal. They
find
> that the outside world and objects don't seem to give the everlasting
> happiness. Obviously these people are very sensitive and loving are
not
> happy with the superficial toys of money, house, spouse and a couple
of
> kids. They feel the need to be loved, long to be part of a group that
> can accept them for who they are. They may get Hindu names, they may
> wear saris/dhotis, bindis - they are very enthusiastic and think
> spirituality means aping certain outer manners and behavior. But this
is
> all optional, Amma never insists on that. They slowly realize that the
> outer has no significance to the inner but this takes time so we can't
> just judge.
> In fact the article is just BS, sure they might downplay Devi Bhava, I
> can see why even I, being an Indian am highly uncomfortable with the
> Devi Bhava but the important thing it is not because of *malice*, it
is
> not *deception* - they are just downplaying it for the Western
audience,
> it is just being practical and pragmatic. The western audience
wouldn't
> necessarily understand that the Devi is just a symbol for the supreme
> consciousness that pervades one and all. Once they love Amma and
> understand the Hindu concepts they slowly start understanding the
Hindu