--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck" <dhamiltony2k5@...> wrote:

> > > It's funny, each given their own experience, could
> > > ultra-Buddhists and ultra-TM'ers get together to
> > > issue a joint-statement that meditation is good and
> > > that meditation not only ought to be practiced but
> > > that it should be practiced, for instance as public
> > > policy in all public schools for good reasons of
> > > neurophysiology.
> >
> > Without a fundamental fight over which meditation
> > would be better?  It's been going on for 50 years
> > ever since Maharishi came to the West marketing
> > meditation in the meditation market-place.
>
> It seems that both camps actively work at denying each
> the other's experience.  Like a spiritual warfare is
> going on over the hearts and minds of the meditation market.

What an incredible crock of horseshit.

I can honestly state that I have never encountered
an organization that claims that its technique of
meditation is "best" OTHER THAN THE TMO.

The most I've ever heard any other organization say
is that some of its techniques are possibly better
for people of a certain disposition, whereas other
techniques they teach may be better for those of a
different disposition. The question of "best" does
not come up, almost by definition, because all of
these organizations teach multiple techniques.
There was never any impetus for them to declare
one of them "best," as there was for the TMO, for
the simple reason that it had nothing else to sell.

Most of the organizations I've dealt with that
teach meditation would be affronted even by the
notion that there is such a thing as the "meditation
marketplace." That a phrase that only a TMer or
someone from some other group *trying to make money
by teaching meditation* would think up. The organi-
zations I'm talking about all teach for free, so
such a low-vibe concern as "marketing" what they
teach or selling it in a "marketplace" would never
even occur to them.

As for the idea of making meditation mandatory in
schools, that is also something that would never
occur to these other organizations. If someone
brought the idea up, they would first laugh, think-
ing that you were joking, and then be affronted,
because the idea of imposing meditation on anyone
or mandating its practice would be anathema to
them. They wouldn't understand how anyone could
even think such a low-vibe idea up.

It takes a Maharishi, or one of his followers, to
think of something like that. But that's probably
because they think in terms of a "meditation
marketplace." To them it doesn't matter whether
individuals pay for it or a school system pays for
it, just so long as they get paid.