--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@...> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Sure, Rick, I could be dead wrong; you could be dead right. However THERE
> > IS NO INSPIRATION BEHIND THIS POST which would testify to the fact that in
> > writing to me as you have you are standing in for reality, for the truth of
> > enlightenment. If such a state of affairs exists (I believe it exists) and
> > it is an intrinsic good (I don't believe enlightenment is this) then it
> > seem ironic that, in your forceful defence of its truth claims you are
> > unable to summon up anything other than an abstract argument—there is no
> > passion, no irresistible logic, no purchase upon reality itself IN THE ACT
> > OF DOING THIS. You are in the same position as the person who, when faced
> > with the atheist's arguments, just resorts to: "Look I know that God
> > exists. Therefore your experience that He does not exist is false."
> >
> > I don't even sense the beauty of your faith in this truth, Rick. It is
> > almost a matter of the quotidian in your life: it is just is commonplace
> > knowledge.
> >
> > I believe in non-enlightenment—or rather in the mystical falseness of
> > enlightenment—with a conviction that is so comprehensive and clearly
> > reasoned (and empirically inspired) that I feel I am making a transaction
> > with reality in a deeper way than you making a transaction with reality in
> > dismissing my claim to know what the classic form of enlightenment is.
> >
> > The only way you will come to know what enlightenment really is is to
> > participate in a thought experiment: assume IT IS NOT REAL, IT DOES NOT
> > EXIST AS A TRUTHFUL REPRESENTATION OF REALITY. Then examine what it is
> > which makes you assume the dogmatic conviction that enlightenment is a
> > good. Remember: I believe in the existence of enlightenment; it's just that
> > I have found out the hard way—and so did Maharishi—that life refuses to
> > have anything to do with supporting it (enlightenment) in any way
> > whatsoever that is consistent with your belief that enlightenment exists,
> > and it is a good.
> >
> > By the way, I think the ego indestructible—and it remains so even in the
> > life of those who think they have gone beyond their ego (those who are
> > enlightened). Like Maharishi: he has an ego, even in his current state of
> > existence.
> >

> MZ- I think you have some interesting things to say. But the way you write is
> so condensed that it obscures your ideas.  It could be that I simply struggle
> to read it and get fatigued. And I wonder if you think in the same style you
> write. It leaves me with a feeling that you are moving fast, and ducking
> around ideas and concepts and I probably should be careful because there is
> some intellectual trick to it all.  I was not in Fairfield years ago when you
> had your whole MMY/TM things going on, so I am missing that piece of the
> puzzle.  And maybe you are so  briliiant that you really do clearly know what
> you are saying.  But something makes me uneasy and I can't get a handle on

RESPONSE: I don't entirely follow your thought process here, wayback71, but the
experience underlying these thoughts somehow intuitively suggests there is
something to it—that is, your experience is valid. Not necessarily valid to the
point of representing an objective argument against what I have said to Rick;
but in reading what you say here, I sense something genuine. So I will have to
ponder this, and perhaps I can come up with some kind of explanation for your
experience of why "something makes me uneasy and I can't get a handle on what
you mean, what your points are".

Of course you knew I would say: For me the arguments I put forward in my letter
to Rick are the more profound variety—and I understand perfectly what I am
saying.

And YET, something needs to be uncovered to explain your experience which would
seemingly contradict this assertion of mine that my letter to Rick is coherent
and intelligible.

It's one of those moments where one  senses: Hey, this guy is having an
innocent experience, and that experience hints at SOMETHING potentially at
least, problematic about what you are saying, MZ.

I will think about this, wayback71 [good name!]