--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
> test. You have no surefire way of knowing whether enlightenment exists as a
> true and objectively valid state of consciousness. What is your proof that
> this state of consciousness exists such that you know it is the perfect
> representation of what reality is?
>
> By your reading of books on the subject? by your interviews with these guests
> who purportedly have entered into a state of realization? by your experience
> with Maharishi?
>
> Where does this absolute and unshakeable belief originate?
>
> I suggest it has been absorbed into your being through your TM and Maharishi
> experience just like Mother's Milk. It has taken up residence inside of you
> in a way that utterly forbids any re-examination of it along the lines that I
> am pursuing in these posts.
>
> Sure, Rick, I could be dead wrong; you could be dead right. However THERE IS
> NO INSPIRATION BEHIND THIS POST which would testify to the fact that in
> writing to me as you have you are standing in for reality, for the truth of
> enlightenment. If such a state of affairs exists (I believe it exists) and it
> is an intrinsic good (I don't believe enlightenment is this) then it seem
> ironic that, in your forceful defence of its truth claims you are unable to
> summon up anything other than an abstract argument—there is no passion, no
> irresistible logic, no purchase upon reality itself IN THE ACT OF DOING THIS.
> You are in the same position as the person who, when faced with the atheist's
> arguments, just resorts to: "Look I know that God exists. Therefore your
> experience that He does not exist is false."
>
> I don't even sense the beauty of your faith in this truth, Rick. It is almost
> a matter of the quotidian in your life: it is just is commonplace knowledge.
>
> I believe in non-enlightenment—or rather in the mystical falseness of
> enlightenment—with a conviction that is so comprehensive and clearly reasoned
> (and empirically inspired) that I feel I am making a transaction with reality
> in a deeper way than you making a transaction with reality in dismissing my
> claim to know what the classic form of enlightenment is.
>
> The only way you will come to know what enlightenment really is is to
> participate in a thought experiment: assume IT IS NOT REAL, IT DOES NOT EXIST
> AS A TRUTHFUL REPRESENTATION OF REALITY. Then examine what it is which makes
> you assume the dogmatic conviction that enlightenment is a good. Remember: I
> believe in the existence of enlightenment; it's just that I have found out
> the hard way—and so did Maharishi—that life refuses to have anything to do
> with supporting it (enlightenment) in any way whatsoever that is consistent
> with your belief that enlightenment exists, and it is a good.
>
> By the way, I think the ego indestructible—and it remains so even in the life
> of those who think they have gone beyond their ego (those who are
> enlightened). Like Maharishi: he has an ego, even in his current state of

MZ- I think you have some interesting things to say. But the way you write is
so condensed that it obscures your ideas.  It could be that I simply struggle
to read it and get fatigued. And I wonder if you think in the same style you
write. It leaves me with a feeling that you are moving fast, and ducking around
ideas and concepts and I probably should be careful because there is some
intellectual trick to it all.  I was not in Fairfield years ago when you had
your whole MMY/TM things going on, so I am missing that piece of the puzzle.
And maybe you are so  briliiant that you really do clearly know what you are
saying.  But something makes me uneasy and I can't get a handle on what you
mean, what you points are.