With regards to William Parkinson, Ravi Yogi, and Lawson

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, William Parkinson ameradian2@
wrote:
> > Thank you so much for sharing with me what happened to you Ravi. I
did not know that you are using something other than TM. The only reason
why I practice TM is because having tried other meditations, TM, for
better or worse, seems to allow me to transcend in the quickest manner I
have ever experienced. It happened in the first day or two, and that was
something I can't say for any other form of meditation I tried,
including classical concentration (which I started when I was perhaps 12
years old following the guidelines in a book by Richard Hittleman on
Yoga), or vipanassana, or meditating on my breath while using a simple
form of pranayama. For me TM is simply an expedient tool-- I have no
desire to reach GC or UG and right now I'm just trying to figure out if
I should even allowed to go so far as CC 24/7.  Frankly this entire
notion of having so-called Cosmic Consciousness, this awareness of a
silent inner level, during sleep is something that
> >  concerns me. I wonder if it will make sleep far more difficult. And
I also worry about what I just read concerning what seems to be
long-lasting, if not permanent changes to either neurophysiology or even
neuroanatomy. Btw, what form of meditation were you practicing? And
also, I love the comment by your Guru. That was a very perceptive
comment!!
> > Cheers
> > Bill

seem to hinder bliss and perfect awareness during the wakeful state.
Most of the times I sleep like a log, if I'm too high I might feel like
I'm aware of my sleep state but this happens rarely.

> > However during a period of 3 months in 09 & 10, during this period
that I refer to as the descension of divine I hardly slept and had full
awareness even while asleep. But I believe this to be a side effect of
the body trying to cope with energy than any natural state. My body
treated this energy as an invasion and felt the need to be awake 24
hours a day to deal with this.

> > So based on my experience it was just an interim state, after having
integrated the energy and rising up higher in consciousness, so to speak
I just sleep.

> > TM is a path like many others, like my Guru would say once you reach
the shore you leave the boat behind, you wouldn't carry it on your head.

> For me the further shore occasionally seems closer than at other
times, but invariably a cleansing flood washes the boat back down
stream, and the further  shore seems at least as far away as ever, if
not more.

> IOW, I haven't found an opportunity to carry the boat around on my
head for any appreciable length of time, at least.

> To paraphrase MMY: as long as you have thoughts during meditation, you
can still benefit from meditation...

> L.

I do not think it has ever been determined that the sign posts or
benchmarks that meditative traditions have are clearly experienced by
everyone, or that there might be partial crossovers that are out of the
sequence. Some people clearly never seem to experience them, others do.
I experienced terrible insomnia for years during and after a CC-like
experience.

The CC-like experience disappeared but the insomnia did not. It felt
like I went back to square one on the game board. Eventually the
insomnia went away and a different kind of 'witnessing' experience
developed which was different than the CC-like phenomenon, in that it
seemed very diffuse; the earlier one was a definite sense of being
awareness separate from sensory experience, and being awake all the
time. Regarding that I think Ravi Yogi's comment about there being more
energy manifesting as a sense of sleeplessness is correct.

This other, later witnessing was not like that at all, it never felt
defined, it was not like a concrete experience where I could say this or
that about it. It was a bummer. I lost interest in spiritual
descriptions and stopped reading about them. I switched to reading
novels. I had very negative thoughts about 'my path' of progress for a
long time - decades. Eventually everything seemed to get more relaxed
and I just started to live life without thinking about spiritual
progress.

One day I went outside for some air and suddenly without warning, the
farther shore and the nearer shore, as Lawson put it, were one and the
same, and it had always been that way, no boat required as there was no
river to traverse. There is no way to describe what this it like. Then
things became completely ordinary.

I read spiritual literature again to gain some kind of intellectual
grasp of this. The whole thing is always in front of us all the time. It
is not a big deal. The big deal is thinking that it is going to be a big
deal, which results in creating an almost endless distraction. Whatever
meditation you are doing, keep doing it. Mine was mostly TM though I
started out with other things, and now meditation is peculiar because it
has no place 'to go', but I still meditate, and sometimes just sit
quietly in silence. Your experiences may be different, and it might be
discouraging if, as I did, you seem to hit a road block (or a river
blockade).

Persistence is good, and depending on your mental makeup, it can be
strong, that is, you are naturally focused on goals, in which case you
might make faster progress,  or in my case is was a continuous but quiet
persistence, which may be why it took so long to get nowhere.

The term 'support of all the laws of nature' takes on a whole new
meaning, and it is not as if some fairy god-mother comes along with her
magic wand and fulfills everything you think of or want (one actually
does not think like that anymore). You see the whole as a process and
see that the process of the whole supports the whole because that is the
only thing that is. This is self sufficiency. This is what Maharishi
meant by the title of a book called 'Creating Ideal Society' (1976).
Everything in the whole fits together perfectly, the society of the
pieces of the world fit together ideally because they are all the whole.
It has nothing to do with utopian civilisations, though perhaps if
enough were seeing the world this way, things might be a bit smoother on
the human level of interaction, though if you look at this forum, maybe
not. This forum is valuable because the people on it, or at least a
goodly portion of them, are interested in getting the kinks out of their
progress.

Finding out that the nearer and farther shores were an illusion is a new
beginning. Still gotta live and do stuff.