From: Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Resume/A Job
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 9:28 AM

      Well as someone who had to pour through resumes to hire people I have my

two bits too.  Too me a flashy looking resume didn't mean anything more

than the applicant had "a flashy looking resume."  It really tell me

anything as to whether they could do the job or not.  One of my best

hires was an engineer whose resume was about 5 unformatted pages long

and mainly just a dump of everything he had done.  If HR had done

filtering for me it his would have gone into the trash can.  But he came

in and had a program that showed his skills which was what we were

looking for.

A couple thoughts on Mark's, contrary to what's been said due to Mark's

age NO PICTURE.  In fact hide age as much as possible.  This is

especially true if the hiring manager is half Mark's age.  Put the

degrees earned in but no dates.  Also limit the employment trail to a

decade or so.  Fool 'em into thinking you're a youngster so you get an

interview.

On networking, some people can do it and do it well.  But others can

not..  But that doesn't mean they won't be any good at the job.  There

are "people people" and there are "things people."  For some jobs you

may definitely need a people person but for others like computer

programming it isn't so important.

Some people interview well and others don't.  You can easily wind up

with someone who is flashy at the interview and can't do the job.

Right now the employment scene is just plain silly.  Even back in the

day we were warned about "gaps in employment".  But if I had to apply

for the job I held I might not have even gotten an interview.  The

reason I was given the job was that I was an outside contractor for the

company and they knew my work.   So the interview consisted of "you want

the job" and "when can you start?"  I interviewed people who took some

time out to learn new things.  I found that a good sign.  HR often had

lame ideas anyway.  This article sums up the issue and do read the

comments.  They will tell you more about the job scene than the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/business/help-wanted-ads-exclude-the-long-term-jobless.html

I've  been saying for years that putting well educated and experienced

people out of work for anything more than short time is a recipe for

revolution.