;-)...

________________________________
From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:40:04 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: The Day That TMers Became Officially Crazy

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall <thomas.pall@...> wrote:

> I worked on the Houston (Navasota, Grimes County) capital for
> room and board. And yes, shared an unheated cabin. Barhroom
> was the bushes outside. Yes, it gets cold in Texas during the
> Winter. Maharishi was absolutely right.  The movement belongs
> to those who move large quantities of cash across national
> borders, undetected.

I never went to any of the more modern TM hovels.
I used to teach a lot of residence courses at
Soboba (I think the name was) in southern CA,
and attended many courses at Cobb Mountain in
northern CA. The former didn't really have much
personality, but the latter did. It had been
some kind of camp or retreat facility before
the TMO acquired it, and I found it charming,
with its old clapboard cottages and rustic
camp-era dining/meeting hall. Plus, the fact
that most everyone was in a separate cottage
made it easier to fool around on ATR courses. :-)

The worst facility experience I had, in retro-
spect, was probably at Poland Springs, ME. I got
to see the balance sheets for that one after the
course was over. The TMO paid something like $15
per night per participant for the room, and was
supposed to pay something like $10 per person per
day for food. They charged us a great deal more
than that for the rooms, and actually (according
to the financial records for the course) spent
less than $4 per person per day on food. Half of
the fruit served to us at meals was rotten.

In Europe most facilities were acceptable, because
they were owned (and thus maintained) by someone
other than the TMO. The minute they started buy-
ing their own places, however, all concept of
maintenance or improvement went in the toilet
and they allowed the places to slide into dis-
repair and in some cases public health hazard
status. And they could do this because they knew
that no one would ever complain; the course par-
ticipants were too spaced out and guru-whipped
to even *consider* complaining.