--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> "Stress is the nonspecific response of the body to any demand, whether is is
> caused by, or results in, pleasant or unpleasant conditions. Stress as such,
> like temperature as such, is all-inclusive, embodying both the positive and
> the negative aspects of these concepts." -Hans Selye
>

> "Stress is anything that distorts the normal, natural functioning of the
> nervous system." -Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

IMO, for Maharishi stress seems to be anything that produces
saMskaara-s (some scars in the nervous system, heh...).
For him, "normal, natural functioning of the nervous system"
seems to be like electricity in a superconductor: not causing
any resistance to mental activity, or stuff.

YS I 50 (please, find your favorite translation yourselves):

taj-jaH saMskaaro 'nya-saMskaara-pratibandhii.

(tat-;jaH saMskaaraH; anya-saMskaara-pratibandhii.)

Word-for-word:

that-born saMskaara [is] other-saMskaara-pratibandhii.

I 51

tasyaapi nirodhe sarva-nirodhaan nirbiijaH samaadhiH.

(tasya+api nirodhe sarva-nirodhaat; nirbiijaH samaadhiH.)

Its also nirodha-"in" all-nirodha-from [follows] nirbiija-samaadhi.