--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> -- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Sal thought about it, and realized that she didn't need to take
> > > this kind of abuse.  Again, I'm not saying she didn't fling
> > > plenty of sh*t herself.
> >
> > Sal, IMHO, is a bully, an exceptionally nasty one,
>
> I had an interesting discussion with the principle

Principal.

 of a
> Middle School last week after presenting the school with
> an assembly concerning bullying and creating a culture of
> respect in a school.  She told me that because of the
> focus on bullying today, students are misusing the term,
> as you have here,

I don't know whether students are "misusing the term," but
I wasn't. Check Mr. Dictionary, please.

I suspect the principal has adopted the "power differential"
sense of the term because it serves her purposes in educating
the children.

But we can easily fix my use so it's in accord with hers
by simply adding the words "trying to."

 as a way of getting leverage over other students using what has become a magic
word. (Happily my show met her expectations of focus.)

> Sal is not in a position to "bully" people here because she
> has no power differential with any other adult who chooses
> to post here.

Actually she does; see below. But that's not a requirement
for the characterization.

> What you are mischaracterizing as bullying is your judgement
> that Sal was being unfriendly to others maybe.

No, I meant "bullying" in the more general sense of the term.

> (In the context of your use of the term "stupid, stupid Sal"
> exactly one kajillion times that seems a bit hypocritical.)

You seem to have a lot of trouble grasping the "taste of
one's own medicine" concept.

> I might characterize her as being bitingly sarcastic, and you
> are welcome to say that she was some other version of poopy
> pants, but she was not a bully here.
>
> It is interesting that the one person who actually did try to
> gain some technological leverage over others here, and got
> bounced for it, never earned your use of the term.

"Technological leverage"? No idea what you're talking about.

As to "bullying" in the standard sense, I refer you back
to my metaphor of Nabby's toy gun with the flag that says
"Bang," Ravi's gun that shot spitballs, and Barry's gun
that shoots real bullets. Sal's gun also shot real bullets,
but her aim was even worse than Barry's.

> You didn't like Sal and she didn't like you.  Neither of you
> were in a position to bully anyone by being mean or bitingly
> sarcastic, depending on your slant on it.

I disagree.

> But bullying is a different thing,

Can be. Not "is."

 and the distinction is important.  The Principle described to me how students
use it whenever someone is being mean to them or doing something they consider
not nice.  This is a breakdown in our social relationships to hand over our
power to others like this.  It stunts their emotional intelligence growth to
pull this rip cord in discussions that could be handled better without
resorting to this inappropriate inflammatory label. Plus it dilutes a term
which in its proper context is serious.

> Since you know the distinctions that define this term, I can
> only conclude that you are unfairly loading your language to
> make it seem as if she was actually capable of violating
> someone in a lower power position.

Actually, you are pretending an optional distinction
is mandatory in an attempt to make me wrong. I'm sure
you're familiar with the term "cyberbullying." There
aren't many instances of "power differentials" in
cyberspace, but the term is commonly used to refer to
peer-to-peer interaction.

One might, however, make a case for the creation on
forums like FFL of ad hoc power differentials via a
person's alliance with a clique of the more forceful,
prominent posters. In that sense, Sal's alliance with
Barry's clique could be said to create a power
differential between her and many of the folks she
habitually beat up on who are not so allied.

> This would be much worse than just letting someone have it
> here.  It adds an element of drama to a fairly common
> situation in an attempt to spin it as more than that.

As usual, Curtis, the spinning is all yours. Nice try,
no cigar.