turquoiseb:
> Or present a view of his last days that either
> disproves my version of it, or presents a valid
> reason why "erecting" a large number of giant
> dicks around the world will do anything to
> benefit humanity...

Of course, the Maharishi can't hold a candle to all
of your life accomplishments! LoL!

'Maharishi's World'
by Hemant Kumar

A modern worldwide movement spanning 80 countries.

This is the world of the modern Maharishi. Satellite dishes and a
24-hour channel, exclusive mind-body centres set in the most beautiful
acreage in Europe, mansions and castles where the rich and famous pay
daunting sums of money to heal their souls. Hemant Kumar took a tour of
the Maharishi's empire and found a fantasyland, where opulence and
luxury meet Vedic mantras and Vastu.

It's the biggest wooden house in netherlands. not a single metal pin or
nail has been driven into the seasoned cedar. Finnish artisans
handcrafted wooden pins and rivets to take the place of metallic nails
and screws. Famous German architect Ike Hartman pored over reams of
original Vastu inscribed in Sthapatya Ved, to design the house.

A generous coat of neem oil protects the wood from termite. When the
cedar catches the late evening sun, its golden paint simply ignites. And
the house glows--like a gigantic ladle overflowing with molten gold. And
then, as the sun goes down, up goes the quartet of fountains on the
sprawling lawns across the building. Transfixed, I watch the spectacle
unfold like a giant slide show.

The place is Vlodrop (pronounced Flow-Drop), some 300 km south of
Amsterdam. This is where the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi lives and from where
he presides over his vast empire girdling the globe and growing ever
larger. It's so quiet here you can hear yourself think. I enter the main
building and a long, scented corridor lined with slippers. And yet, not
a sound. I raise a questioning eyebrow at Atilla, the young Austrian
driver who picked me up at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport.

Fingers on his lips, he points out my room to me. I unlatch the door,
and with a whispered "TM time, I must rush too", Atilla disappears down
the hallway. My room would put any five-star hotel suite to shame. It's
plush, elegant and beautifully decorated. It's part of a huge building,
housing more than 500 people, each of them sitting absolutely still,
deep in meditation--Transcendental Meditation (TM).

At this very moment the man responsible for this modern, mystical
nirvana is meditating in his glass-encased veranda. At 85, the Maharishi
still meditates six to seven hours daily and works longer than any of
his ablest lieutenants can. It is said that no one knows how many hours
the Maharishi actually sleeps. He turns in only after midnight and is up
again before dawn.

In the swinging '60s, when he landed in Europe, the Maharishi
encountered a dazed, confused generation. Rebellious youngsters freaking
out on the decadent pop culture of the hippies. Marriages wrecking on
the bedrock of alcoholism, mistrust and promiscuity. The Beatles and
Flower Power. Anti-war demonstrations and the search for an elusive
elixir. Inner peace? It was as rare as virginity on Pennsylvania Avenue.

At first, they didn't understand what this short,dark man from the Far
East was saying to them in his broken English and a deeply eastern
accent. But soon enough, they began to trickle in. The trickle changed
to a flood. And today, the Maharishi's organisation is a worldwide
movement spanning 80 countries. For millions of people in these
countries TM twice daily is as essential as brushing their teeth,
probably more. The ashram complex is built in a forest clearing. Next to
the Maharishi's house is an imposing late-19th-century mansion with more
than a 100 large rooms and a labyrinthine network of hallways, gangways
and thickly carpeted corridors.

It's morning. The Maharishi is listening to Yajur Veda chants on his
music system. Outside, the whole place is abuzz with activity. The
appetising sound of huge stainless-steel vessels clanging in the kitchen
downstairs. The loud "chhanngg" of rai, hing and curry leaves crackling
in pure ghee.  Breakfast is being prepared for 500 people and for the
Maharishi. A man is snipping white lilies in the sprawling lawn to make
a bouquet for the Maharishi. Another pushes a wheelbarrow in the organic
vegetable garden, whistling a tune. Indian, European or American, they
all greet each other with hands folded and a "Jai Guru Dev".

This heady cocktail of curry leaves, ghee, Jai Guru Dev, and
kurta-pyjama in the heart of white man's Europe would seem ludicrous
were it not so genuine and warm and natural in this setting. The
greeting 'Jai Guru Dev' is the Maharishi's tribute to his guru, Swami
Brahmanand Saraswati, the Shankaracharya of Jyotirmath.

At the stroke of nine, a young Yajur Veda pandit takes up position in
the Brahma Sthaan, the most important place in the Maharishi's house.
For the next three hours, he will chant the Veda in its purest form as
the Maharishi engages in the activities of the day. This primordial
sound has a healing and purifying effect. That is why, mantra chikitsa,
or therapy through chanting, has the pride of place in Ayurveda. Its
practitioners are the most revered of medicine men.

All this suggests an ideal lifestyle--one far from civilisation and deep
in the realm of the Vedas. But this is a modern rishi who has harnessed
technology to his advantage. A dish antenna links up straight from his
room to a satellite for broadcasting on his 24-hour TV channel.
Cellphones, laptops, Internet, video-conferencing. The works.

"This is the Age of Information. How will you reach your message to the
millions of people worldwide if you don't keep in step with technology,"
asserts Dr Bevan Morris, the man who heads the Maharishi's think-tank
(Council of Supreme Intelligence) and one of the three people who
oversee the global empire.

So, what is the Maharishi's message? "It's actually simple enough. Live
by the laws of nature. Imbibe Vedic practices in your life. Meditate and
live in pure surroundings. Build according to Vastu. Practise Ayurveda
and prevent, rather than treat, disease," says a smiling Dr Morris,
sitting on a low sofa, hands folded sagaciously in his lap. One of the
Maharishi's biggest campaigns, however, has been to propagate Ayurveda
in the world.

And he hasn't had to try very hard. The West is fairly disillusioned
with its own system of medicine. "Allopathy relies too heavily on
machines. All told, it is a system that has lost touch with its roots
and the patient feels alienated,'' says Anand Srivastava, chairman of
the multimillion-dollar global pharmaceutical enterprise, Maharishi
Ayurved.

''Ayurveda, on the other hand, is more complete. A holistic
health-management system that has a highly preventive attitude by
suggesting a lifestyle and treatment that keep disease away.'' In his
own adaptation of Ayurveda, the Maharishi trains doctors to focus on the
human psychophysiology--the mind-body complex. The body, he says, has
its own intelligence. The mind controls the body. Together, they drive a
living, pulsating, dynamic human being with consciousness.

This consciousness is nothing but oneness with this inner intelligence.
The Vedas propound a lifestyle that helps us find, fire and enliven our
own consciousness. And TM eases you into the refreshing pool of your own
consciousness from which you return cleansed and rejuvenated. Deepak
Chopra honed his Vedas-based healing skills at the Maharishi's
organisation before he fell out and branched off on his own.

This is an ashram where every one meditates at least twice daily. But
there are those who sit for hours deep in meditation. They only break
for meals and a few hours of sleep. These are committed celibates or
simply bachelors called purushas who have learnt the technique of TM but
aim to achieve higher levels of consciousness. Some of them may be in
meditation for as long as 15 hours daily. Close to the kitchen on the
ground floor is a large, lamp-lit hall lined with white-cushioned seats.
This is the main meditation hall for the purushas.

But most inmates of this facility double up as something else when they
are not meditating. The Maharishi has a battery of secretaries, all
practitioners of TM and committed bachelors or celibates. They work in
shifts from morning to night attending to the Maharishi's calls and
keeping him connected to every city in the world.

Shailesh Saxena, 28, has been the Maharishi's secretary for two years
now and his life has easily settled into a natural rhythm with that of
the Maharishi. "It's something I can do forever. It's almost as if I was
born for this. I'm so lucky the Maharishi chose me to be so close to him
all the time. My life is fulfilled," says Saxena.

Up early at 6.00 a.m., he meditates for a while and goes walking in the
woods for a good hour or so. A quick shower after that and he is ready
in a sparkling white kurta-pyjama. A quick upma or vada-sambar with tea
and off he goes to the Maharishi's house next door in a battery-powered
golf cart. Every morning, without fail, Saxena is at the Maharishi's
house sharp at 10.00 a.m. to relieve Mayur, another secretary who has
been there since very early in the morning.

By 10.30 a.m. a group of people start filing into the Maharishi's house.
These are vaidyas, allopath doctors and exponents of Jyotish and the
Vedas. In a large hall right below the Maharishi's first-floor bedroom,
they take up positions before huge TV cameras. Soon they are joined by
the Maharishi himself and the day's broadcast on the Maharishi Channel
takes off.

Right now, the programming is mostly in the form of discourses from the
Maharishi on a variety of subjects followed by discussions with these
experts. "But, soon enough, we'll start broadcasting animated stories
from Ramayana, Mahabharata and the Upanishads, and other books of
knowledge," says Rajesh Srivastava, director of the in-house company,
Cosmic Software, in-charge of producing the programmes.

In Maharishi's brand of Ayurveda, TM and medicines go hand in hand. And
his dedicated band of vaidyas all practise and teach TM. Dr Raju, an
exponent of pulse-diagnosis, has been working with the Maharishi for
more than 20 years now. And he travels throughout Europe to see
patients. And everywhere, there are long queues of patients waiting for
him. "In the beginning, you could have dismissed the long queues of
patients as idle curiosity towards Asian mystique.

But two decades have gone by and now, I treat children of my old
patients--a generation born after I began practising here," said Dr
Raju, looking out onto the fields rushing past, as we drove early one
morning to Valkenberg, an old Dutch town less than 20 km from the famous
town of Maastricht.

Valkenberg (pronounced Fall-ken-berg) showcases the Maharishi's finest
and most exclusive Ayurvedic healing centre in Netherlands. Housed in a
castle-like mansion that used to be a monastery, it combines the best of
Ayurveda--pulse-diagnosis, natural medicine, meditation and panchkarma.
Rich Europeans and Americans spend weeks here cleansing their minds and
bodies of toxins. The mansion has scores of consultation rooms,
treatment and massage facilities, meditation halls, dining halls and
super-deluxe suites for guests.

The place is a mini-India minus, of course, the filth and stench.
Spotlessly clean and exquisitely designed, the centre has a hawk-eyed
German caretaker, Johannes, who prowls the campus with a magnifying
glass. Dozens of vaidyas and technicians have been flown in from Kerala
and other parts of India. It is no doubt, very, very expensive. But it's
also deeply satisfying.

If you believe in holistic healing, then Valkenberg is the place for
you. Spend two weeks here and come back a new person. A complete therapy
involving pulse-diagnosis, herbal treatment, TM and panchkarma takes two
weeks. And you pay approximately $10,000 for it. The Maharishi has
standardised the charges for panchkarma throughout Europe.

Room tariff, however, varies from place to place. At Valkenberg in
Netherlands, for instance, the room tariff is slightly lower than at
Parkschlosschen, Germany. The German outfit is decidedly the most
exquisite health centre of Maharishi Ayurved in Europe.

For a two-week treatment, Parkschlosschen charges DM 8,800 (Rs 2.2 lakh)
for its best suite with single occupancy. For a couple, the charges for
the same suite will go up to DM 13,500 (Rs 3, 37,500). But this includes
everything that you will need during your stay here. It is expensive
even by European standards. "But the herbalised oils and proprietary
formulations used for the two-week course of panchkarma, come straight
from India. And even in India, they are handpicked and prepared under
very strict guidelines by traditional Ayurvedic practitioners," says
Srivastava.

Therapy and Techniques

Panchkarma: An age-old Ayurvedic technique of body purification and
massage developed by traditional vaidyas of Kerala.

Key Stages

Snehana: You drink pure ghee made from cow's milk for two to three days.
It penetrates deep into cells, releasing physical impurities.

Virechana: Immediately follows Snehana. You drink castor oil to purge
all the impurities from deep within the system that the ghee has been
releasing for the past few days.

Abhyang: A deeply relaxing body massage with warm, herbalised oil. It
draws out and squeezes away fatigue and remaining impurities.

Svedana: Heat treatment with herbalised steam. It gradually heats the
body, opening up capillaries and skin pores to speed up the process of
waste extraction.

Shirodhara: A must for every one. Mildly scented herbal oil pours onto
your forehead for well over an hour while you lie down. Shirodhara
relaxes and regenerates the nervous system. Ideal for patients of
hypertension, insomnia and other sleep disorders. Guaranteed to give you
deep and dreamless sleep for hours.

Panchkarma is an ancient Indian Ayurvedic form of mind-body healing.
Simply put, it is a series of carefully designed, total-body massages.
For two weeks, the body is swathed in warm, medicated oils massaged
gently into the skin by trained technicians. It is not a
one-size-fits-all kind of treatment. Designed by pure inner logic, it is
geared to your specific body type. Nutrition during the treatment is
easy to digest, warm, low in fat and free of animal proteins. Panchkarma
is not easy to administer. It requires years of training and practice.
And when you experience oil-soaked Indian herbs being rubbed into your
body by European hands, it's, well, quite a feeling.

The Maharishi has trained hundreds of foreigners in panchkarma. One of
them is Dr Ulrich Bauhofer of Germany, who lost faith in his own system
of medicine and joined the Maharishi 20 years ago. Indoctrinated in the
Maharishi's philosophy of Vedic healing, he decided to set up a
panchkarma facility in Germany.

Two years ago, he opened a centre in lush-green wine country, Traben
Trarbach in southern Germany. I drove early one September morning from
Vlodrop to see Dr Bauhofer. Thirty km before Traben Trarbach you catch
up with the Moselle river flowing in from France. As you drive along the
winding river, you smell the aroma of ripening grapes in the slate hills
on both sides of the road. Set in the picturesque hills laden with acre
upon endless acre of the choicest Reisling grapes, Dr Bauhofer's centre
is truly divine. Far away from stress, and breathtakingly beautiful, his
sprawling two-acre complex is called Parkschlosschen (pronounced
Park-shlo-ssen). Go there and you will never want to come back.

A clear, natural spring supplies the drinking water and a geyser spouts
nearby spraying its healing minerals on the needy. Complete with a
restaurant, lobby and tree-lined walkways, Parkschlosschen is the place
to spend two weeks in absolute luxury and rejuvenation.

The place is so Indian in character that even the bathroom fittings are
called Hansa. Exquisitely designed treatment rooms for panchkarma are
swathed in the sweet aroma of some of the choicest Indian flowers. I
spent a whole day getting drenched in sesame oil from head to toe as two
trained technicians working in tandem, massaged the oil into my body,
ever so slowly. Abhyang, they call it in panchkarma. I was already
falling asleep with the gentle rhythmic motion of the massage, but what
came next was like a dream. Sweetly scented, warm oil poured from a
vessel inches above my head--for nearly half an hour. This is
shirodhara, the climax of the therapy. I don't know how long I must have
slept after that but when I woke up, I felt different--light and
cleansed.

Hunger drove me straight to the restaurant after a lavish warm bath. I
was greeted by a smart German girl. She put down a small glass before me
with a yellowish liquid in it. Gingerly, I sipped at it. It was ginger,
in warm water to work up my stomach and prime up the digestive system,
she explained. Then came hot cauliflower soup, followed by an assortment
of fresh fruits. Dr Bauhofer says it is best to have fruits first and
then go for the cereals. Lassi came next laced with honey and then some
rice and a typical Indian curry, albeit lighter on spices.

I had had a pure Indian meal in the south of Germany, thousands of
kilometres from home, presented to me in the most exquisite fashion in a
stylishly laid-out restaurant. I was more than flattered. For a two-week
stay here you can expect to pay a maximum of DM 9,000 (Rs 2.25 lakh) for
one person and a minimum of DM 6,400 (Rs 1.6 lakh). This includes
everything: the suite, food, treatment and massages. Expensive, but
exclusive!

And there is so much to see around here. The oldest Roman town outside
of Rome, Trier, is less than an hour's drive from here. Shop or lounge
in renovated 12th-century buildings or simply roam in the bylanes of
Trier. Or, you can just walk down to the town of Traben Trarbach and
sample some of the best wines sold in Germany. Every single house sells
wine and kegs overflow with the stuff kept just outside every restaurant
in town. The Moselle flows playfully through the town and falls into the
Rhine in Koblenz. The nearest international airport is Frankfurt and
Parkschlosschen can have you picked up at the airport for an extra DM
350 (Rs 8,750).

A few months ago, the Maharishi launched his 24-hour satellite
television channel. Tune in, and you'll see him speak about meditation,
Ayurveda, life. But his latest passion is Vastu. He has huge, and almost
impossible, plans of a global reconstruction based on the principles of
Vastu. He believes most of our problems today emanate from poor or
non-existent Vastu in our lives. Our buildings face the wrong direction,
roads look the wrong way and our bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms and
storerooms are not built where they ought to be.

Therefore, we don't succeed in our efforts. It sounds unconvincing. But
he laughs at critics. And when he recites confidently: "The time has
come for the precious unfoldment of the golden hue of heavenly life on
earth'', you're almost convinced. So, over 10,000 acres of prime forest
land in the breathtaking Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, USA,
the first of his Vastu-perfect settlements, was commissioned this July.
Aptly called the Heavenly Mountain Resort, the place is built strictly
according to Vastu and is self-sufficient in every way, complete with
schools for children.

Close associate and follower for more than 20 years, Dr Morris, admits
the Maharishi's plans are "ambitious, even impossible. But then only he
can think on such a global scale." And act, too. The Maharishi's target
is to collect $100 billion for his global reconstruction project. And
already, business houses and sympathisers from all over the world have
contributed more than $1 billion. This is a huge, efficiently run
corporation selling the ancient wisdom of India in a modern-day package.
And its success is evident in the kind of resources it has, the talented
people it attracts, the magnificent, peaceful beauty of its centres, and
the mystic magnetism of its CEO.

Source:

India Today Plus:
http://www.india-today.com/ <http://www.india-today.com/>