--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
[...]
> > > Not really the point though is it? If TM lived up to its claims
> > > you wouldn't be able to get stuck.
> >
> > Hmmm???
> >
> > People get stuck in all sorts of situations, TM or no. If you have made a
> > conscious decision not to explore new hobbies, new sports, new educational
> > opportunities, then of course you get stuck, no matter what you are or are
> > not doing.
> >

> Erm, I meant stuck with mental health problems like anxiety,
> control freaker, obsessive behaviours, depression, anger
> management. I've seen all of this a lot in the TMO and in people
> that have been doing it 20-30 years, when the claim
> is that TM eradictes stress related problems.

Welll....

Perhaps they aren't "stress-related" in those people.

Everyone is different or perhaps TM just doesn't work for those people. Or...

Lots of possibilities there.

> > And I believe it does shift one's overall mental and physical health
> > towards the better and the preliminary results of the research being done
> > at Norwich University definitely support my belief. However, the kind of
> > overwhelmingly dynamic activity that you see in a cadet in a 4 year
> > military academy is at the far edge of healthy activity,, while the kind of
> > thing you (from what I have heard) see sidhas do in Fairfield, is at the
> > other.
> >

> Shame the researchers aren't studying some of the long term
> TMers I've come across.....

As I said above...

> > > At last I know what people are doing with their pool balls!

> > > Poor analogy, I can see how stronger fingers might help guitar
> > > playing but for the life of me don't get how it translates to
> > > yogic flying? The belief that twitching with your eyes closed might one
> > > day turn into flying unaided seem like a stretch to this
> > > casual observer.....
> >
> > and so,, what if it doesn't?
>
> You've been had is what. But the TMO train you to rationalise
> your way round that, you'll probably tell me that the siddhis are
> designed to speed up the positive effects of TM and not to gain
> supernormal powers - which is what the word "siddhi" actually means.

Siddhi means perfection.

And... it was presented to me that the purpose of the TM-Sidhis was to create a
situation where pure consciousness would somehow be carried into extremely
dynamic activity in very unusual ways, and that that was the real purpose of
the TM-Sidhis program, NOT to attain some specific power.

Come to think of it, 'twas Rick Archer and friends who came to Tucson, AZ in
the mid-70s who I first heard that bit of [according to you] "rationalization"
about the purpose of the siddhis, so from the very first formal presentation I
heard, about 35 years ago, I was getting this rationalization as the official
TM explanation for why I might want to learn the TM-Sidhis program.

Mind you, RIck and friends assured as that floating was just around the corner
and that every session, people were "hopping higher and higher," but that can
be excused as marketing speak, in MY opinion. MMY, for reasons that he has made
clear for 35 years, wanted as many people to learn the TM-sidhis as fast as
possible and practice in groups, so he empathized the theoretical extreme of
the practice as a hook to bring people in to learn more about the program.

By the time I actually learned Yogic Flying in the Summer of 1985 (84?) the TM
organization had been sued for false advertising, so just to prevent that from
happening again, they required me to write out, in long-hand, sign, date and
mail in essentially the stuff I said in the original post [see below], which
was essentially, as I recall it, what Rick Archer told us in the mid-70's,
BEFORE I would be accepted on the course.

In other words, the "rationalization" has ALWAYS been the official TM stance
since the TM-Sidhis were first introduced to the masses.

> > The TM-Sidhis are meant to be a special kind of activity that allows one to
> > be in a pure-consciousness + activity state, where the activity is of a
> > type that tends to draw one away from PC more than normal activity. This
> > trains the nervous system to be more likely to experience turiyatita in
> > normal situations, or so the theory goes. Published research backs up the
> > claim that the TM-Sidhis (not just yogic flying) does create such a
> > situation during practice. I don't know of any research that shows that it
> > promotes PC outside of practice, however.
>
> :-D

Smile all you want. I've been practicing TM regularly (with a few bouts of
depression interrupting my practice) for 38.9 years, and the TM-Sidhis (see
caveat) regularly for 28.8 years and my experience has been that I have been
able to cope with some pretty insanely stressful life experiences. Mind you,
most of said experiences were the result of some pretty stupid life choices
that I have made over the years so obviously, my practice hasn't been as
beneficial as one would hope, but coping-wise, TM and related techniques have
been extremely beneficial for me.