--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray27"  wrote:

> Hey Edg,
>
> Nice post.  I especially liked part
>
> That is something I've never thought of.  Now, at the risk of sounding
> stupid, is this sort of the encapsulated version of "Advaita".  I've
> never really understood it before, or had the  motivation to try to
> figure it out.  But you've come up with such a concise description,
that
> I can get my head around it.

Glad if it is a help.  As I posted at length the other day, I think one
has to grow clarity -- that is, by having the insights you seem to have
had due to the reading of my words, your brain has made some neuronal
connections that will become the basis of yet more iterative clarity in
the future.  A luscious cycle that!

I have read, say, a couple dozen books on Advaita, and really "did a
number" on my brains with just such a "nerve garden tended"  program of
spirituality.  Again and again, I would read words that were something
I'd run through consciousness previously, yet often a nuance of
deeper-still understanding was noted.  I actually would say I have "felt
growth happen."  Perhaps a mere conceit on my part, but it pleases me to
say it.   The scientist in me has a technique for approaching the books:
I am honest with myself if some text is not instantly clear to me.  If
not, I read that sucker again and again to see where my fuzziness is.

Knowledge in the books stays in the books -- a truth for most, but I
would say ANY spiritual book, if attended mindfully will yield the
growth of which I'm speaking, because each thought one has is thereby
EMBODIED -- our nervous system having created a specific architecture as
a "bookmark" of that "segment of the flow of experiencing."    A
memory's physicality.   Get enough of these going, and when one again
reads the books, the silence starts to come to the fore.

Now-a-days, when I read Ramana's "Talks," there am I reading the
questions of the "people at the mike in the lecture hall," but now, I
first try to answer the question as if I were enlightened, and then I
see how closely I get to Ramana's response.  I'm happy to report but
little variance now after years of writing and reading about Advaita.
To me, this is such a relief  to have my intellect, um, smug?  To me, so
much is now clearly avoidable as "identificational tarbaby -- do not
touch!"

And FFL has been instrumental in helping me see my growth as more and
more the sniping of Richard et alia has less chance of triggering my
egoic defenses and all the excitation that that implies.  As I get okay
with my own nothingness, I can forgive it in others, eh?????  Nay, LOVE
IT in others.

To me, clarity's value is to take one to the doorstep leading out of
reality -- beyond and through which is actuality.  That is, I can now
stop-in-my-tracks, and peer into that utterness without the intellect
needing to name it for me.   And as far as the heart goes, it says "yes"
to that vast unknown too.   Silence just keeps getting louder and
louder......meaning that noise on this side of the doorstep is getting
suspiciously muted.  Sort of like getting a birthday card and not
needing to read the words on it or ask if the giver of the card loves
one -- it's all understood instantly as "good" without the fine print
ever being examined.   Just so, I don't need to have a reason to love
the silence of nothingness.

When I -- or almost anyone -- look into a mirror, I'm not triggered into
a frenzy of thinking or loving, right?.......but there is certainty that
all I see therein is me, wholly me, solely me, soully me, and only me.
Just so, the silence beyond that doorstep doesn't stimulate and instead,
challenges one to realize one is Alice on the wrong side of that mirror!

When, I note silence, it's like seeing a cornucopia with fruits spilling
out and rolling towards me, but I see that my doorway is shaped only
such that the apples can get through the door.  That's my personality --
it's Edg-shaped -- my nervous system is shaped like "something" and only
that "part of silence" can fit into "my glove."  And I'm okay with that
tiny little bit of the vastness in its localized presentation.   Think
of the vast landscape canvases of Asian artists with but a tiny
wandering monk in the corner.

Death takes the glove off, but I'm not hankering for another.  That's
the value of silence.  It is so obviously real, that "love of the glove"
becomes merely an offer of a tawdry miring in delusional incarceration.

Edg

> [...]
> "someone to love God," yes, that works, and then, if successful, one
can
> remain a devotee in an ocean of unity, or one can go all the way to
full
> Godship -- that is, beyond God-the-manifest.
> >
> > Note that the monsters of evil, when they attacked Krishna, were
> instantly enlightened -- that is, Krishna stomped them into such a
mush
> that identification could no longer find purchase, and they were, as
if,
> returned to the unmanifest -- free of all evil attachments.
> >
> > A hard path, the dark side is. -- Yoda
> >
> > As for becoming heartless due to TM not having a devotional dynamic,
> hmmmm, not so much. Maybe, but not sure, cuz I "work the heart" in
daily
> life, so maybe most folks get enough exercise that way to balance TM's
> lack of it.....????
> >
> > Edg
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson mjackson74@
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Wow - there is a lot here - at least for me as I have been in the
> process of processing my feelings/experiences with TM these last
months
> - I have tired also to make that point that if TM is actually as
> effective why do so many people quit? Why do so many people who do TM
> long term act like asses or become completely ineffective in life? Not
> everyone, but a lot do.
> > >
> > > I appreciate your posting these words.
> > >
> > > I was re-reading part of Earl Kaplan's letter and want to know
what
> you think of this part:
> > >

> > > "One other important point is that the mechanical repetition
> > > of a mantra without meaning or devotion brings no spiritual
progress
> > > whatsoever. This point is referred to in the yoga sutras and in
many
> > > discussions of great spiritual teachers. The mechanical repetition
> of some
> > > meaningless word brings no opening of the heart, no love in one's
> life, and no
> > > unfoldment of true spiritual values.
> > > Haven't you ever
> > > wondered why so many people in the TM movement seemed so
heartless,
> especially
> > > the administrators the early courses? It was because their
> mechanical
> > > repetition of a meaningless word was actually closing their heart,
> not opening
> > > it. That is why so many people in the TM movement have suffered a
> sort of
> > > disassociation with so much of their life where they don't have
the
> same
> > > feelings they used to. It's not because they are more highly
> evolved, it is
> > > because they are disconnected from their hearts."

Folks

> [...]
> > >
> > > Of course I'm an asshole -- everyone is.
> > >
> > > And remember these opinions are from a brain that did 30 years of
> TM, 44,000 hours in the chair, 2,000 taught -- how could TM be such a
> "nothing technique" that it didn't even dent my revulsion of the
> movement's leaders? If I was not improved, and my opinion is for shit,
> then these leaders are leaders of a movement that is offering a
> technique that doesn't work -- so they're frauds -- or, as I have
said:
> ASSHOLES!
> > >
> > > Who doesn't think their thoughts are legit until otherwise
> persuaded?
> > >
> > > These Rajas were snobby, prideful, uncaring about the rights of
> others, dismissive, and on and on. Not always, but often. Not to me
> personally, so much. as it was to EVERY. ONE. THEY. KNEW.
> > >
> > > One of these guys was fond of snapping his fingers to get people
> doing something -- like a Nazi SS. Which reminds me of this time I
> personally walked over and handed a check for $500 to yet another TM
> minor-leader, and he too perfunctorily snapped his fingers to get me
> give him the check and leave his office. Fuck, eh? The $500 was
chicken
> feed to him.
> > >
> > > I've know six of the movement's super-rich -- hundreds of millions
> in net worth each. All of them strutted around like feudal
lords....not
> even nice to their wives.
> > >
> > > It's the money -- it corrupts......corrupts everyone. Even a
person
> making $30,000 a year looks down on a homeless person in the
> streets.....like that, the ego glues itself to symbols to make itself
> real. BAH!
> > >
> > > And double BAH! on the movement for offering position, access and
> privilege to the rich -- so that they could be milked dry by Girish et
> alia.
> > >
> > > This was two decades ago -- who knows, I have gotten "better" as a
> human in that time, so certainly they will have been smacked enough by
> karma to sand down a lot of their rough spots. Humility can come in an
> instant, so who knows what they've evolved into by now. The acid test
is
> what they do with their money and how they treat their minions.
> > >
> > > And those who are rich and fight to remain decent human beings are
> as if funneled into their personalities by dint of the movement's
> impoverished masses who relentlessly beg from the rich for loans,
gifts,
> and investment in gonzo business deals. And the movement is knocking
on
> their door for more cash EVERY. DAY. Shit, even I get asked for
> donations by the TMO at least ten times a year. Simply trying to avoid
> all that rush for their gold turns the rich into fear-everyone types,
> and it shows when you try to approach the rich with anything but "hey,
> try the bean casserole." They smell your beggary from 100 feet away.
So,
> on that level, I pity them, because they are always hiding out from
the
> masses, and having to have only people like them to hob nob with.
> Vicious cycle that.
> > >
> > > Now-a-days, mostly I see TM as a scam. The technique probably can
be
> used to good effect, but what that is and how it compares to other
> techniques is just not clear. I'm all for anything that lessens
> physiological excitation, but I could rattle of a hundred ways to
obtain
> that.
> > >
> > > I like the idea of the Holy Tradition, but where was it ever
> honored? Maharishi FORBID any translation of Guru Dev's words, right?
> Ask L.B., right? The movement has never NEVER NEVER wanted us to have
> intellectual clarity -- tried to keep us all as blind true believers
and
> avoid any discussion of the fine points or the truths about the
mantras,
> Guru Dev's money/death, and on and on -- we all know the ways the
> movement didn't respect us or grant us any right to know about most of
> the movement's machinations.
> > >
> > > Here's one symbolic moment for me: on teacher training, Maharishi
> had a meeting that was sort of "thrown together quickly in a very
small
> venue" and it turned out that people could sit right next to
Maharishi,