You are right again! Also I do barely remember the separate bathrooms and
drinking fountains - there were some places in the South that took a while to
get rid of them - where did you grow up, if I may ask?

________________________________
 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2012 5:13 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Heaven on Earth for Marshy's Kin Folks

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mjackson74" <mjackson74@...> wrote:

> <snippus interruptus>
> So when folks like the current version of myself come along
> and say hey! Who IS that man behind the curtain the object
> referral people feel their very soul identity is being
> called into question.
>
> Some people here may find it offensive but drawing on my
> Southern heritage, the rednecks I was raised with could not
> imagine a world where white men were not superior to blacks.
> As my daddy said once, you work with 'em, you tolerate 'em
> but you don't socialize with them.
>
> Any idea of racial equality truly threatened their self
> identity that depended on belief of whites as a superior
> race and you could in some places I have been in the past
> get your ass kicked for offering any other opinion on the
> subject.

I grew up in the South, too, so I can identify with
your metaphor. Possibly being older than you, I grew
up in an environment in which every restaurant had
two water fountains and four bathrooms, one set of
each for "white" and "colored."

My parents -- bless them -- didn't think this way.
They thought more along the lines that your daddy
did, and I kinda caught their 'tude from them. I
was once thrown off of a city bus at age ten or so
for wanting to sit in the back row of the bus. I
liked it back there; it was spacious and one could
stretch out and enjoy oneself. But I was white. The
"back of the bus" was for "coloreds."

The driver literally stopped the bus, got up, walked
back to the back of the bus and threw me off. The
"coloreds" I'd been having a fine time with waved
at me as the bus pulled away. None of the white
folks did.

I think the metaphor extends to spiritual traditions.
People *get used to shit*. Whether that shit is the
caste system in India or "governors" being "better"
than "mere meditators," it's all shit. Once they
buy into defending the shit, they don't like being
told that it's shit.