I'm just going to riff off of one small aspect of your post,
because it triggered a train of thought that I found inter-
esting and wanted to rap about. No disrespect to the rest
of your excellent post, really. :-)

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson  wrote:

> Quite by accident or perhaps by Cosmic Design, I became
> aware of some things that disturbed me a fair amount
> with the behavior of Bevan and other members of the TMO
> who were creating some shenanigans in Heavenly Mountain
> - it was really the Boone, NC stuff that made me decide
> not to have anything to do with the TMO except maybe
> round sometime...

Have you ever noticed that one of the never-noticed
and never-spoken-of assumptions that many people make,
*including* those who have stepped back from involve-
ment in the TMO, is that being able to "round" is
somehow inevitably linked to being in good enough
standing with the TMO that you will still be allowed
to go on one of their courses?

The assumption is that "on a course" officially offered
by the TMO is the only place they *could* round, or at
least "safely" round.

Did it never occur to them to just go to a nice place,
rent a room with a great view, and just do some "extra
rounds" on their own? Did it never occur to them to go
on some other organization's retreat and just do their
TM and/or TMSP program there?

I suspect, now that this has been brought to my attention,
that a LOT of people picked up this subliminal idea that
one cannot or should not "round" except on a TM course.

And why? Is it somehow "safer" to "round" as we were
instructed on an "official" course? Do you believe that
the people who led them had any ability to keep you
safe, that they were taught things specific to rounding
to watch for in course participants and how to help
them out of the difficulties if they found themselves
in one?

I ran all of the TM residence courses offered in the
Western US States for several years. In that capacity
I was pretty much in charge of "residence course teacher
training," in that I made sure that everyone who taught
these weekend or week-long course followed certain
guidelines sent down to us from "International." In
the Regional Offices we tried our best to select good
teachers, people with a good rep as teachers, but also
as having a good head on their shoulders and being
pretty real-world grounded. But I can assure you that
none of them ever received any training on how to
take care of anything woeful that might happen to
a course participant during "rounding." It was as if
the whole residence course idea was based on the
assumption that this could never *happen*. What could
possibly go wrong, after all, on a TM residence course
that is by definition "100% life supporting?"

This may have changed after I left the TM movement,
and as more people freaked out on courses. I can only
speak for the period up to 1972, and based on my own
limited experience within the TMO. If anyone who ever
taught residence courses has different memories, please
speak up.

Anyway, these were just thoughts triggered by something
Michael said, thrown out to see if anyone identifies
with them, or has anything to say about them.