--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap"  wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb  wrote:
>
> > The problem is compounded in those who carefully stayed
> > away from him and never met the man. They got to base
> > their fantasies on what he wrote in books and said on
> > videotapes, and carefully stayed far, far away so that
> > they'd never have to encounter any reality that might
> > contradict their fantasies.
>
> What is reality and what is fantasy Barry? (Uh-oh).
>
> Is the reality the 'particular' (the hunch in the back
> of Richard III), or the 'universal' (the abstract, the
> teaching). Which is *more* real?

The whole *premise* of Maharishi's teachings -- or
at least the way he acted them out -- is that the idea
is more real. I dispute this.

> Take me. I'm a "Hendrix freak". So, just as one example,
> I absolutely love "The Wind Cries Mary". It means a lot
> to me (and to a lot of others to be sure).
>
> http://youtu.be/zNps6k7oVG4
>
> Now I discover that the occasion for the creation of this
> gem by the force-of-nature Voodoo Chile was in fact some
> badly prepared mashed potato:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21292762
>
> If you're of a nominalist persuasion I think this would
> be a bit of a downer.  Philosophical realists are not
> bothered.

I am not bothered. What does that make me?  :-)

> If you emphasize as *the* reality MMY the man (who ate,
> shat, copulated and all the rest), you are (perhaps
> uncritically) taking the former view.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Maharishi's promises have almost all gone away. The
reality of his actions has not.

> Perhaps ideas are more important than bags under the
> eyes? Perhaps Einstein's equations are more real than
> his hair style?

Einstein himself knew that his ideas were mere ideas.
My grandfather worked with him, and heard him say this
many times. He was too much of a scientist to ever
confuse them with reality.

> (PS I read MMY's books *and* met the guy. I was not
> disappointed in the flesh as it happens).

I wasn't disappointed *at the time*, merely underwhelmed.
I never detected an ounce of shakti or "personal power"
or whatever you might want to call it. In the years since
I have been disappointed mainly by the people who still
put him up on a pedestal to which he was never entitled.

Different strokes for different folks.