> > Any thoughts?

turquoiseb:
> Any person who can affix a name like "liberal" or
> "conservative" to his or her beliefs -- be they
> political, social, or spiritual -- is not worth
> paying any attention to whatsoever.

Or, calling oneself a 'pirate'. LoL!

Being an ex-pat hacker can sometimes be isolating
and lonely - sometimes expats just feel better when
they have someone to talk to.

The programmer is God and Hackers are the prophets
of Information Technology. So, if you are a hacker,
it would be evil to not share your data and your
code with the rest of the world, to save mankind
from ignorance - a moral imperative for the hacker.

The hacker's world view is idealistic libertarian.

Hackers really fear that powerful individuals are
taking over the Internet and controlling our thoughts
through the media and social networking, violating
their privacy, all the while posting reams of
information about themselves. Go figure.

"Underlying it all was the hacker belief that the
world could be perfected if enough of us tapped
society's vast reserves of knowledge and put it to
proper use."

"Because he knows the power of the technology he has
mastered, he knows how distressingly fragile the
barrier is between freedom and censorship—it's a
simple matter of who writes the code."

Read more:

'So Open It Hurts'
What the Internet did to Aaron Swartz?
New Republic:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ala5v77

Other titles of interest:

'Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace'
by Lawrence Lessig
Basic Books, 2000

'Information is power'
The Guerilla Open Access Manifesto:
by Aaron Swartz
http://tinyurl.com/b7ntgef

'Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution'
by Steven Levy
O'Reilly, 2010