--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> It is lame. Especially for a technique that claims to evolve people out of
> wanting to get high.
>
> And remember when we went to MIU we had the glassy eyes of expectation of
> wonderous things just around the corner.  These students have seen what 40
> years of meditation gets you: another version of your dad. Not charming,
> giggling, flower waving Maharishi, but big ol' Bevan-walrus and a bunch of
> other old timers who need help loading up their Ipod with MP3s of Charles
> Llyod playing his TM inspired flute songs to whales.  (Yes, that is an actual
> thing.)
>
> They know they are not on the cusp of any breakthrough.  Remember how it was
> for us?  People in Switzerland were flying...so we were told.  People talked
> to squirrels. (According to Jonathan Shear)  Larry Domash found his lost pen
> magically!)  They were heady times and we were on the cusp of something
> amazing.
>
> So it really wasn't much of a stretch for me to give up drugs.  But I pushed
> the boundaries appropriate to my age.  I did things that got kids kicked out
> in later years.  Skinny dipping co-ed at Lake Keosauqua and the reservoir and
> dorm showers...and anywhere else I could get young ladies to serve up the
> simplest form of undress.
>
> These kids know everything.  They know Maharishi banged young white girls.
> We thought he was a God.  They just don't have the context we had.
>
> But more than that.  Any school who deals with kids smoking pot by saying "we
> can't help you get your shit and leave" is lame IMO.  And that is even
> institutions that don't sprinkle on the "ideals" like powdered sugar on
> french toast. (Use day old Challah bread)
>
> They have exposed that they are just another strict Christian school who
> can't handle any kid's rebellion.  Our class was the first one at MIU with
> actual kids, not TM teachers.  The class was much more indoctrinated than
> some of these kids.
>
> So yeah, I get that we loved our drug-free MIU.  And I get it that these are
> the rules of the group and they SHOULD know them.
>
> As I said in an earlier post, the part of your brain that actually allow us
> to foresee the consequences of our actions is physically NOT developed till
> 26.  And society expectations of them being responsible don't change that.
> (BTW society actually preys on this when we send young people to war.  There
> is a reason for that.)
>
> When I was at MIU there were off-the-program students smoking pot and
> drinking.  It had nothing to do with me and my choices. They kept it on the
> down-low and it was none of my business. I think Dennis Ramondi was very
> compassionate toward us that we were all growing and none of us was "ideal"
> anything.
>
> MIU is a buzz kill, and I wound never recommend smoking weed there.  But is
> this is their answer to the drug problem, then they really aren't adding

First, it was great to read some of those old names, the past incidents, the
feel of the place back when we were there that you described so well just now.
And while it is stereotypical to idealize 'the good old days' I feel that, in
some fundamental way, they REALLY were just that. I agree with you that enough
history has past that the naive idealism we all held about enlightenment and
the sidhis and just the newness of the place seems but a pipe dream now.
However, it does not take away from our perceived reality at the time and I
remember my years at MIU with great affection. It was EXCITING, there seemed to
be a limitless future available to all of us.

And undoubtedly there are far more interesting and creative ways to deal with
rule-breakers at MUM. You could create something revealing, and interesting and
understandable for other students there by possibly discussing the need, the
desire to smoke drugs while pursuing an education steeped in spirituality and
self development through meditation - you could make it a mini course, an
interactive area of study headed by the students themselves. There are infinite
ways to approach the 'problem' of drug taking there by turning it into another
learning experience. You just need to be open minded, creative and be prepared
to be surprised. But MUM appears, if nothing else, steeped in dogma. A dogma
that will be doomed to moulder and eventually crumble with age and obsolescence.