--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> [...]
> same.  So please view the following "ripping a new one" as directed toward
> this pernicious style of thinking rather than directed at your Steven Colbert
> style mash-up parody, where-does-it-end-and-you-begin, persona here.
>
> Here is my problem with this.  The first two quotes are draconian 1950's
> anti-kid bullshit.  And the third involves the twisted idea that the group so
> powerful that it claims to lower MURDER rates and WARS, can have its
> coherence significantly lowered by a few bong hits.  How fragile is your
> invincibility?  If it can't at least get through if not purify and correct a
> kid who wants to polish off a family sized bag of Cool Ranch Doritos, are you
> even taking your own claims seriously at this point?  How is it gunna stop
> wars on the other side of the planet from Fairfield if it can't dispel a few
> cough-giggle exhalations of an incinerated plant?
>
> This is the equivalent to having the Great Oz's curtain come down.  It
> exposes the "Ideal System of Education" for what it is: a tiny self-selected
> group whose motto is "please solve your problems in advance so I can help you
> more."  TM isn't able to help these kids grow through this pretty normal
> attraction is it?  So throw the bums out!  Off with their rudraksha beads.
> Excommunicate the sinners and cast them in to the fiery pits of Iowa Summers.
>  "No sutras for you", says the sidhi Nazi.
>
> The more I work with kids, the more I realize that a poor carpenter blames
> his tools in education.  I work with the poorest kids in the poorest
> counties, the Republican's "throw away" kids.  And you know what?  They
> aren't bad kids.  They aren't stupid kids even without anyone reading to them
> at home usually.  And if they end up getting incarcerated after High School,
> it is on us, the educators.
>
> Sure you have your occasional psychopaths.  But this kid at MIU smoking some
> weed with friends hasn't met that bar yet, has he?  Unredeemable for being
> curious about altering his consciousness?
>
> So I think the kid dodged a bullet by getting kicked out of a group that
> would kick out a kid in college for indulging in something that is closer to
> having a beer than the Refer Madness alarmists would have us believe.  He
> could have been treated with some compassion and with the idea that the
> miraculous TM has not worked its magic yet.
>
> He could have been treated with more understanding and it would have been a
> nice example of how an ideal system of education should deal with a common,
> predictable, developmental issue.  And the other thing I know about kids is
> that 19 is the new 15.  Kids in college have been sheltered in ways my
> generation was not.  So they may have to work out some of the kinks I went
> through in high school, in college.
>
> But in the end, the system has proven once again that the appearance of being
> IDEAL is all that is being accomplished. And now fear and conformity can
> reign once again in the kingdom of the Maharishi.

Good.  Thanks that is all fine.  With some discipline we should look to the
science for Neurophysiology for guiding public policy on this.

Focused on an evident reality of neuroplasticity of young developing brains,
drug use in school age youth is a pernicious problem for all of society and
should not be condoned or tolerated at all let alone facilitated by anyone.  As
a community as the MSAE is about the full development of the person they
certainly have particular right to ask and require their students to be without
the use of drugs.  One would hope any school for youth would hold to that.
This is now just elemental developmental brain physiology that should be
societal policy; and people who get in the way of protecting this and even
corrupt the system by supplying drugs to youth would be wholly strung up by all
of civil society.
-Buck