--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@...> wrote:

> I believe it was torn down because the foundation was unstable.
> It was a very old building, and the cost of upkeep was prohibitive.
> Your implication that it was torn down because of some hostility
> toward it is not correct. That building was loved. Many meditators
> got married in it, and concerts were held there too.

Yep. IIRC, they spent over a hundred grand to fix the leaky roof, and after the
crumbly foundation shifted some more, the roof started leaking again. It was
going to take another half million dollars to fix the foundation, which is a
lot to pour into a building that wasn't all that useful to the university.

As I've pointed out before, the old St. Mary's Catholic Church in town was
built within 5 years of Barhydt Chapel and suffered a similar amount of
structural dilapidation. But, when St. Mary's tore down their own old church
building, there was nary a peep of protest about it. The stink over Barhydt was
purely a bunch of faux outrage because a cult of Hindoo Voodoo weirdos tore
down a church... OMG! They killed Jeebus! You bastards!