<curtisdeltablues@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn emilymae.reyn@ wrote:
>

> > What I liked about this book was that I assumed the author did not
have a background or belief system that was guiding his experiences - so
it gave his experience a different sort of credibility for me -

> Me: I don't believe this is an option for any of us. It gives too much
weight to our conscious beliefs and not enough to the cultural
programming as well as our cognitive habits. (Such as instantly
ascribing conscious motives to even inanimate things.)

> We soak in the archetypes, myths and stories of our culture. I've
certainly made an attempt to rid myself of many beliefs, but the
conditioning runs to deep.

I said just a moment ago that I am not interested in defending the
mystical legitimacy of NDEs, and I'm not.  I have not read much about
NDEs, and I  certainly have not read books or articles about brain
functioning, or psychology, but I am struck, Curtis, by how many
assumptions you seem to make here.  I am getting that perhaps your
primary point is that no matter how hard we may try, or no matter how
unattached we may feel we are, basically we are unable to break free of
our conditionings.  And, for all I know, you may be 100% right.  But in
the some of the cases I've come across, the people having NDEs didn't
really have strong religious convictions  or ideas of the after life.
And also, the trauma of the injury or accident has seemed in many cases
to knock one off their bearings anyway.

> And that goes double for any experience like altered brain functioning
though illness, injury or drugs. Altered states are altered from our
usual mix of our conscious attention habits, so we fall back on more
primitive images and impressions. Just as people experience "God" though
the filter of their exposure culturally to specific versions of the
idea, (allowing that Hindus might experience Jesus, who they have heard
about, but not Zeus if they had not.)

> And then we have archetypical images that seem to go between cultures
and about which we understand very little, but have been pretty well
described by Anthony Campbell as well as imaginatively (some of it
unwarranted IMO) enhanced by Carl Jung.

> Mother and child love and intimacy is so deep in us. Father's
seemingly invincible protective power runs across cultures. And not
surprisingly, under the conditions of altered states, they pop up with a
full narratives embedded in the full blown experience.

> So I am thinking that none of us are innocents and belief-free. I read
about a study that showed that atheists are no less vulnerable to
ascribing agency to coincidence events than religious believers. That
really made me laugh, but it is so true. We may think it through
differently after the fact, but in the moment the connection emerges
unbidden and uninfluenced by our more conscious beliefs. Conception
always guides even our experience of a chair as a chair. How much more
of an influence there must be under the conditions of altered states.

> > Ann - I am glad you are reading the book. Â Now you and I and
Curtis and MJ and any other readers can discuss it. Â Ha. Â When I
told Curtis I would put my thoughts out there - I had to go back and
re-read the book! Â Â

> > The book showed up as a gift to me from a friend - so I read it.
 I read it at face value.  I have no background in NDE
experiences and haven't read much on them - interesting phenomenon
though.Â

> > I don't want to say too much yet as you are reading it, but, as a
first impression, it is, in my view, a story of one man's journey from
one place to another and I found it interesting in several respects
(don't you love how I just said absolutely nothing?). Â It is not a
book of great spiritual or philosophical import; he scratches the
surface of a lot of topics, but he makes some bold statements. Â His
personality, his beginning process of recovery, his struggle to
understand and process his NDE and experience - all this comes through.

> > What I liked about this book was that I assumed the author did not
have a background or belief system that was guiding his experiences - so
it gave his experience a different sort of credibility for me - but it
is clear he struggled to put the non-scientific aspects of it (the parts
not related to his medical illness) on paper, struggled to find the
words. Â

> > Given this assumption that I made/make - I thought his elementary
and simple statements somewhat astonishing. Â But, given also, the
comments on this forum by Xeno and others, I am also clear that I do not
necessarily understand the relationship between NDE's and consciousness
- are they "real"? or are they a product of an ill brain? Â I still
haven't read the reviews, but I likely will for another perspective.
 I do love some of the lines in this book though, as well as many of
the quotes he uses towards the end of the book to begin his chapter's
with. Â Â

> > Out of curiosity, I will also likely read Anita Moorjani's book
(Dying to Be Me). She has a Hindu background, so the book may reflect
her worldview as impacted by that, but I'll read it anyway. Â

> > Enjoy, it's a quick and easy read, geared, IMO, towards the masses.

"Proof of Heaven" you recommended. I will let you know what I think, so
far so good. Am looking forward to reading this.