--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, doctordumbass@... <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
> > pretty ridiculous. For sure many rich people or conglomerations of people
> > have too much power but that goes for governments, mobs of fanatics and
> > various religious organizations. It is not so much about the money but
> > about what humans do with their situation. Just because one has a healthy
> > bank account does not mean they automatically become despots or overly
> > selfish. But you know that, it is not even worth bringing up it is so
> > simplistic a concept.
> >
> > Anyway, I certainly don't identify with wealth or money. It is not who I
> > am. I simply look at it as an amazing opportunity to do more of what I want
> > to do and it can buy me a certain amount of free time if I were to so
> > choose (which I haven't). I have quite a bit of that Puritan work ethic in
> > there so although I could have 'retired' at the age of 40 when my last
> > parent died I wouldn't have considered it. Instead, I never worked harder
> > in my life running a 25 horse training and boarding stable with 13 hour
> > work days, riding multiple horses a day, teaching lessons and working the
> > barn. It was hard work and gruelling at times just like any business can
> > be.
>
> Good for you!
> >
> > For me there will be no retirement. I don't understand what that concept
> > means. However, because I love my current job I am very, very fortunate. I
> > have never felt otherwise; I am not sure why life has been so amazingly
> > good to me. Even if I were to end up drooling and paralyzed in a wheel
> > chair tomorrow I will never feel otherwise. My life has been a supreme gift
> > in every way.
>
> Yes, I can see that. I really had a great career, and loved most of it, but
> it was also all consuming, always running flat out, and I don't miss that at
> all. Also add to that, three relatives passing away, across the country, in
> the space of six months, including hands-on managing their estates, raising a
> daughter, and holding my marriage together, put everything over the top, late
> last year. Not a sustainable combination, and I really had to stop working,
> for my sanity, which correlated perfectly with having the funds necessary to
> do so.
>
> I have been a creative person even as a kid, so even though I no longer have
> a day job, I am continually putting something together, or doing art, or
> composing a song, or taking pictures, or drawing, renovating the buildings
> here, or landscaping. Over the last ten years, I have transformed our
> backyard into a retreat. I have an art studio/work shed, a large gazebo, a
> large deck, an enclosed spa building with hot tub, and a small pond with
> solar lighting and fountain. There are also several lawns, and large trees,
> including orange, lemon and avocado. Lots of flowers and stonework too.
> Brings in the hummingbirds, and a lot of other creatures, too.
>
> Anyway, sounds like you have a great life, also!!

And you too. You have obviously worked hard at a job not necessarily totally to
your liking and yet here you are, relatively young and very healthy with the
people you cherish around you in an environment you created with care and with
the intention of pursuing your art. Sounds like heaven to me. Congratulations -
you have beauty inside and outside.