Chalk it up to my ignorance but I still don't see what good it does. I was at
MIU when Marshy first gave his "blessing" to jyotish. Before that, astrology
was on the list of forbidden fruits, the indulgence in which could result in
being banned from the Domes and future rounding courses.

You should have seen the dozens of True Believers who had been dabbling in
western astrology fairly spinning with glee. They were flocking to the Movement
approved jyotishees and others were coming out with the charts that Chakrapani
Ullal had done for them. Chakrapani was a favorite of TM people in those days.
Those who were getting jyotish for the first time were bringing their jyotish
charts to meals in the Annapurna dining hall and comparing the jyotish to the
western charts they had had done before. It was like Prohibition had ended
 and everyone was drunk with previously forbidden wine.

I was interested in jyotish for one reason. It promised to offer "remedial
measures" for removing "bad karma" and rectifying unfavorable astrological
situations. Before that astrology didn't interest me because mostly it seemed
to describe what you are like, what your personality and strengths/weaknesses
are. Big deal, like people don't already know that? People who look at a chart
and see they are described fairly accurately, think the predictions of the
future are going to be accurate. Then it turns out not to be and they still
keep going.

So the idea that jyotish could alleviate the astrological situations and clear
karma was enticing. What a crock.

The "remedial measures."

Yagyas - believe it if you like, but I have talked to dozens of people who have
paid thousands of dollars both to the TM Movement and other pundits for yagyas
and not a single one of them could
 definitively claim the yagyas did a damn thing for them, but most of them kept
getting the yagyas cause they thought they might work.

Gems - A nice idea, and incredibly expensive given the fact that the stones are
supposed to be flawless - you know what an authentic flawless ruby goes for?
And the stones are supposed to be untreated. Regardless of what the jyotish
selling gemstone websites tell people, it is nearly impossible to get stones
that have not been oil and heat treated. I used to mine for gems in North
Carolina and Montana and I know what I am talking about. They are all heat and
oil treated, at least - many of them are treated with flux, which is heating
the stone in a bath of chemicals of various types. Many these days are treated
even before the get into the hands of the lapidary. The Mong Hsu rubies that
began to dominate the ruby market in the 1990's are ALL flux treated.

Mantras - chanting non-stop the various Sanskrit words. That's cool and some
people certainly say it makes them feel better, but again I have yet to find
anyone who can say definitely the use of chanted mantras changed something for
them for the better.

In the case of the TM Movement, jyotish was a boon (for the Movement) as it
gave them the opportunity to milk customers over and over, not only for the
various jyotish readings but selling the client gems and yagyas, etc.

So until jyotish comes up with something that works as far as remedial
measures, I'll pass.