Why he didn't say, right from the start, "yes I have struck my students,
and here's the context........"

Wouldn't that have made a lot more sense, than issuing a blanket denial?

As I've said, and others as well, it's not about the hitting, it's about
the cover up, or the "appearance" of lying.

And that is why I think the comparison to Clinton is perfect.

If you believe that oral sex constitutes sexual relations, then you say
Bill Clinton was lying.  But if you don't think oral sex constitutes
sexual relations, then you give him a pass.  You hold your nose, but you
give him a pass.

The fact that Robin didn't own up to the whole picture from the start,
for me shows a lack of integrity.