Musical theory was my forte in college probably because I had studied
since I was a kid and writing compositions.  I would even tutor some of
the scholarship performance students who could really play but were
flummoxed by music theory.  But like the story beats, elements of music
theory are fallbacks to help make a composition better.  You don't want
to write a piece of music entirely by them or it would sound dreadful.
Stuck on the next phrase of your tune?  Try a retrograde inversion of
your current phrase.