Authfriend: Today at 8:16 AM

 So what would the problem be if "OM" wasn't included in a maha-mantra but
rather along with, say, a bija mantra like what TM uses? Did Sri Sri give out
bija mantras, or just the maha-mantras?

 SSRS does indeed give out bija-mantras for meditation. However, I was never
taught his sahaj-meditation technique so I did not receive one of his chosen
meditation bija-mantras.

 What I asked him for (asked four times over a 7 year period) was
"guru-mantra". When he finally gave it to me it was a maha-mantra that "named"
the source of our teaching lineage. If you consider the guru-puja which is
performed at initiation then you can guess which  mantra. I received it along
with another one of SSRS's teachers who often stayed at my house. According to
that teacher, he also received the same maha-mantra (it includes om).

I couldn't have asked for a better mantra. I use it after my tm-mantra and
before I perform sanyama on a few select sutras that work especially well for
me.

 SSRS did tell me and that all the different bija-mantras naturally merge into
the om sound at the finest level.

BTW - the sankhya-yoga scholar said the same ... no problem with using om if
sheltered in a longer mantra.