Some rock historians believe that Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock", recorded on April 12, 1954, was the first rock song, followed by "That's All Right" by Elvis Presley, which was was recorded on July 5, 1954. Go figure.

Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock Bandstand 1960
http://youtu.be/N-qjc17KEsc

Elvis Presley - That's All Right (Comeback Special '68):
http://youtu.be/zVaBVZaS7So