Barry claimed he read over 200 books on the Cathars but not a single book on the Gnostics. Go figure.

Cathars are derived from Bogumils; Bogomils are derived from Paulicans; Paulicans from Manicheans; Manicheans from Gnostics. Thus the Cathars are derived from Gnostics.

Barry apparently isn't aware of the Languedocian legend of the 'Queen of the South', (Reine du Midi), a title a countess of Toulosue, the 'Protectrix', identified with the Syrian goddess Anath who in turn is closely linked with Isis and the bird-footed Lilith.

Yet another legend current in France is the Meridiana to whom was conveyed the secrets of alchemy to Gerbert d'Auriliac. The name Meridiana is derived from 'Mary-Diana' thus linking the Magdalene legends in the South of France. Lagudedoc was also home to the Knights Templers in Europe.

Stoyanov thinks that the one single local Langudocian notion in Catharism was the theology of the belief that Mary Magdalene was the concubine of Jesus - knowledge that was reserved for the inner circle of Cathars: "The teaching of Mary Magdalene as the 'wife or 'concubine' of Christ appears moreover, an original Cathar tradition which doesn not have any counterpart in Bogomil doctrines".

It is also worth noting that the date of the massacre at Beziers, 22 July 1209, was St Mary Magdalene's Day or the Feast Day of Mary Magdalene. You'll probably also want to make a note of the fact that forty years previously the local lord Raymond Trencavel was slain inside the Church of Mary Magdalene at Beziers.

The early Gnostic Gospels have no hesitation describing the relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus. It's unlikely that the townsfolk would have access to the Gnostic Gospel, so how do we account for the presence of Magdalene legends at Beziers, Maxim, and Provencal? It must have been a powerful legend to cause the entire Inquisition to be formulated just to root them out. Catharism was the State religion of Languedoc.

Work cited:

'The Hidden Tradition in Europe: The Secret History of Medieval Christian Heresy'
by Yuri Stoyanov
Arkana, 1995
p. 222-223

Read more: