Here's the Wikipedia article about the Cathars:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathars

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <jr_esq@...> wrote:

  Barry,

 According to Wikipedia, the Cathars were practicing a religion that was not
part of the Roman Catholic doctrine.  In those days, religious differences were
settled by war.

 I'm curious to know if there are still secret sects who practice Catharism in
southern France or elsewhere in Europe today.  Writers, like Dan Brown, could
probably sell many books about this subject.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
wrote:

 > Share,
 >
 > I believe it would take another Vatican Council to consider the
 question of priesthood for women. This council will only happen if the
 entire church leadership perceives that women can fill the priestly
 duties that are needed in the parishes. If the supply of quality men
 who want to be priests dwindles, the church leaders will have to
 consider accepting women as priests.

 I will merely interject an interesting (at least to me) point of
 history. The Albigensian Crusade, more aptly named The Systematic
 Extermination Of A Competing Christian Sect We're Going To Call
 'Heretics' Because It Sounds Better Than 'We're Afraid Of Them', is
 blamed by the majority of historians on the Cathars' rejection of
 certain fundamental ideas of Roman dogma. They believed -- and practiced
 -- 'heresy'. A more real reason is that the Cathar religion was growing
 by leaps and bounds in the areas of Europe in which it had arisen, at a
 time when many people were leaving the Roman Church and its coffers were
 dwindling. Can't have that. So they called the Cathars 'heretics' and
 eliminated the competition.

 But one of the minor points of dogma that probably frightened the Roman
 Church the most was that the Cathars exemplified almost total parity
 between men and women. Women were allowed to hold property in their own
 names, in the 1200s, in what is now the south of France. That didn't
 happen officially in what is now France until De Gaulle.

 Worse, the Cathar priesthood was open equally to men and women. There
 were equal numbers of men and women priests. Really, really, really
 can't have that. Just sayin'...

 > ---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com mailto:fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com,
 > sharelong60@ wrote:
 >
 > John, it's about time! As for the Catholic Church, I wonder who would
 protest more, the clergy in power or the conservative laity, including
 nuns.

 > ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
 > jr_esq@ wrote:
 >
 > This appears to be the trend among Protestant Christian churches.
 But one wonders if the Catholic Church would ever accept women as
 priests.

 http://news.yahoo.com/church-england-paves-way-women-bishops-2014-142619\
http://news.yahoo.com/church-england-paves-way-women-bishops-2014-142619\
 228.html