Well said. But they are paid 200$ a month which is quite a good salary
considering that buying ability will be about x 20 for that amount in India. So
most of these pundits will certainly want to hold on to this job.
 I think your mention of climate makes a lot of sense.  This added to the fact
that they are confined to a small area and being without their families and
loved ones for years on end certainly could add up to some tension.

 turq, I agree with you that the program should be disbanded. But only if greed
and other forms of ignorance are at the heart of it. However, if at its heart
is a desire to relieve suffering in the world, then I say let the program be
reassessed and fixed somehow.

I keep thinking: it has been a long, hard winter in Iowa. There have been
several mornings where a person could take one step out their door, slip on ice
and fall flat on their butt. There was one blizzard in the early evening that
caused severe white beyond a short distance. There has been snowfall after
snowfall requiring constant shoveling of snow, donning of cold weather gear,
walking outside in freezing temps, icy winds from Canada.

Now imagine 500 young men from a hot climate trying to deal with that! For one
thing, can you say cabin fever?! All I'm saying is perhaps this is a factor in
the situation. Of course along with all that you note. But can we really know
the motivations of all concerned? The parents, the TMO, the pundits themselves?
And what about our own motivations as we ascribe blame without having all the
facts?

Can we ever know all the facts? Is there such a thing as facts anyway?

I feel in this post of yours a lot of compassion. For that I thank you.