Derek Ogilvie ?
On Mon, 4/14/14, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Are the TM-Sidhis nothing but Placebo Effect?
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Monday, April 14, 2014, 11:34 AM

 More below......

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...>
 wrote :

 From: salyavin808
 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
  To:
 FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday,
 April 14, 2014 8:48 AM
  Subject: Re:
 [FairfieldLife] Are the TM-Sidhis nothing but Placebo
 Effect?

  Some of the people Randi have had to put up with!
 He had a guy who could turn pages of a book with his mind.
 He'd sit with a book in front of him and the pages turn
 without him touching them! I saw the film
 even.
 Randi asked
 if him he could do it with a sheet of glass between him and
 the book and he said of course he could. He couldn't
 obviously, how anyone could be so deluded they weren't
 aware they were just breathing on the pages is beyond me.
 The human capacity for self-delusion must be near infinite.
 Which is why believers can't be trusted to examine
 themselves properly.
 He's had harder subjects
 than that though, telepaths and mind readers that turned out
 not to be are common as muck, cold readers even if they
 aren't aware that is what they are doing. Loads of them
 still make a living even after they failed in the test Randi
 set. "It was set up to fail" they claim
 afterwards. Whereas before they were keen to demonstrate
 their powers under conditions they themselves agreed to. To
 keep their belief in their powers intact they scapegoat
 Randi as unfair. Go figure.

 It's the "When Prophecy Fails" syndrome
 all over again. A prophecy fail makes the TBs believe in it
 even more. Go figure. There is simply no accounting for
 self-importance and an inability to say, "I was
 wrong."

 People
 are willing to come up with so many twisted theories to
 explain *their* mystical experience. And as far as I can
 tell, all of this is driven by self-importance. They're
 declaring "My experience was SPECIAL" (and of
 course, silently saying "And so am I"), and
 they're desperate for any way to "prove" it.
 What such people are unable to cope with is someone hearing
 about "their experience" and saying, "No,
 it's not special at all, and neither are
 you."

 One of
 the most interesting people that took on the Randi challenge
 was a guy who thought he could talk to babies
 telepathically.
 UK's Channel 5 made a doc about him in their
 "Extraordinary People" strand. The most
 extraordinary thing to me was that anyone thought it was
 possible in the first place, I mean babies don't have
 thoughts and conceptualised desires, they don't even
 have a language at that age!
 None
 of this has stopped the guy making a fortune out of his
 "powers" he still fills halls up and down the
 country with dopey women and their bawling kids where he
 rather obviously cold-reads irrelevant crap about their
 family lives and charges them a fortune to tell them things
 they already know. It's no different than mediums
 preying on the bereaved really. And credit where it's
 due, he was very good at it.
 Anyway, this guy took up James Randi on his offer and
 went to claim his money. Randi interviewed him and they came
 up with a test that would showcase his skills. Boy, was he
 confident and he really
 thought the money was his.
 The look on his face when he came out of the
 soundproof room to see how well he'd done and found out
 he'd drawn a complete blank was priceless and he accused
 Randi of cheating and setting him up to fail, but we all saw
 it. There was no doubt without the parents to talk to he
 couldn't do it.
 So why was it called Extraordinary People and not
 Extraordinary Failures? After his disappointment with Randi
 the documentary makers took him to a
  psychologist rather
 more sympathetic to claims of this kind (you
 can see the problem there) who did an EGG of him when he was
 in his cold-reading trancey state and declared that he was
 using his brain in a way that he'd never seen before.
 And it was interesting but looked like he'd simply
 started using another brain section for his trick, maybe one
 that gets used in altered states?
 Anyway, this was taken as confirmation that he really
 did have a special supernatural skill even though it
 completely ignored all the other evidence of cold-reading
 and his failure at Randi's lab. To me it was a fine
 cautionary tale about trusting sympathetic scientists* and
 the willingness to believe.
 The
 guy still makes a living conning money out of gullible young
 mothers and James Randi held on to his $ million.

 *And
 clueless documentary makers.